What's new

Do you think Fanboys are good/bad for gaming? (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Just thought I would mention that Ness (the character shown above) was in one of the greatest SNES RPGs ever. It also had crude humor, like farting, althroughout it.
I think that some people have an anti-fanboy mentality also. Instead of liking one console, you hate others. People hate Nintendo for its games because they aren't exactly adult, and could care less if they are fun. Its sort of a "don't judge a book by it's cover" idea. Based on what you said, Dean, you wouldn't play Conker's Bad Fur Day. That game is the most adult game released on any Nintendo platform and by a large margin.
The whole kiddie idea is 100% BS. If it was the case for real, then all Disney movies would suck.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
"Fanboy" should not be defined as a rabid proponent of any given system, but rather someone who is insecure and defensive about anyone not feeling the same way about it as they do.
There are many intelligent people here on the gaming forum who have effectively sold me on *all* systems. Too bad that financially that's just not feasible :) but at risk of sounding like a broken record, it's a great time to be a gamer.
Joseph

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I think you missed the point of my post. You and I know how Ness is, but any person that hasn't played one of his games would say WTF is this Fisher-Price shit. You wonder why Nintendo has a general "kiddy" image eh? Come on, you can't honestly tell me that the pic of Ness above does not look like a preschool character without completely becoming a "Nintendo fanboy"
I love the "book by its cover" comment when you are dissing the Halo book for its cover...
wink.gif

Dean

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Nintendo's image, I do think there's something to that. I don't think Nintendo has never made any secret that the audience they treasure most is children, and that audience always comes first in whatever plans they have. Doesn't mean they don't do more mature games, but it's not really the priority there.
Personally, I've owned every Nintendo console since the NES (Huh. Didn't even realize that until I just thought about it :)), but I do think I'm ready for something that's not Nintendo. I want games that are fun to play and have as much replay value as possible, but I also want games that have a certain aesthetic that appeals to me and at this point I just think I'm more likely to find more of those games on either the PS2 or the Xbox (I'd like it to be the Xbox because I like the controllers for that so much more than Sony's too tiny controllers, but we'll see how things develop). Less Mario and Zelda for me and more GTA3, please :)

AndreTrixy

Auditioning
Joe, nice, nice, nice!
I don't think the system matter at all.
The only thing that matters is the developers, as they either make you love a game, or hate it.
I stick to the good guys, such as Squaresoft and will support em in anyway I can.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Dean-
I never said the Halo book was bad, just that it had an ugly cover.
Nintendo has an image because kiddie games are successful. Kids get their parents to spend money, so the companies benefit more from aiming at little kids. Nintendo made Pokemon, but other than that, most of their games are universal. Pokemon is even universal, the only thing is that nobody will play it because they think its only for kids.
The reason Nintendo has that reputation is because they are original and some people judge them based on their success. Nintendo doesn't even make kiddie games, third party developers do.

Joe Rigali

Agent
I think alot of Nintendos "kiddie" image was started when Mortal Kombat was released.
(who remembers NARC for the nes and that hampster you could explode in the microwave in the first few copies of Maniac Mansion?)
But then...
Remember the "blood" the genesis version had and the "sweat" the SNES version had?
That got Nintendo alot of positive publicity from parents. And who could forget Lieberman going after Night Trap? A terrible game his "crusading" gave the game more publicity than it ever would have gotten otherwise. And at the time Nintendo made a sound business choice. Try and keep the games somewhat clean. Now they did release a Later version of MK that had blood and fatalities. But only after the ratings system was in place. At that time videogames were still mostly aimed at kids. And I realize kids still do play videogames, but now thanks to Sony they have gotten mainstream(take that as good or bad). When I was in high school - you were a geek if you openly talked about playing videogames. Now its cool.
I still remember the day I read about Conkers bad fur day in EGM. It was the April Issue - I thought it was a Joke! (especially after the prank PSM played the year before with a nude Tomb Raider style game)
I almost refused to believe that it was a real game.
But Nintendo is Nintendo - plain and simple. I think that you'll start to see more M rated games than you have before on a Nintendo system.
But that doesnt mean I want a M rated Mario or Zelda game.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The market has expanded from being teens and little kids to being kids, teens, and adults. Of course there will be more M Rated games. By providing games that parents will let their kids play that kids want to play, Nintendo made money. Now, there is a rating system, so its not Nintendo's job to regulate game content, so there can be more M rated games. Probably the main reason for the SNES having kiddie games was the lack of the ESRB and then the N64 had less third party developers. GCN has the ESRB and more third parties than the N64, plus there are Mature games already announced, so I see the future looking more adult.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
umm...I got lost.
[Edited last by Camp on November 03, 2001 at 12:26 AM]

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah
Am I the only person who thinks that more and more posts on this forum look like this?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
There is a text based games magazine service on one of the TV channels here, the magazine is called Digitiser and it's pretty neat, but their letters page is hilarious and often filled with zealot rantings which I take great pleasure in reading.
There's seems to be a lot of bitterness in gamers which I don't understand, I don't like that aspect. The whole "mine is better than yours" argument is ever so tedious when it comes to siding with one console over another.
People can't seem to just say "I'm happy with what I've got, that's great if you've got something different and are happy too." I am a VERY casual gamer, some hardcore game nuts scare me and I personally just can't take to videogames as anything else but an excellent and highly enjoyable way to pass time. Some of the fanboys take it all way too seriously and just need to calm down a little...
I'll admit I have a strong affection for the genius of Nintendo and Sega above anything else in the gaming world, up until now I had no interest in the PS2 and I have no resentment against Microsoft. I've not been so excited about the world of console gaming in years, I'm happy to embrace as many of the new platforms as I can afford...
In that respect I guess I like GAME fans most. No bitterness or resentment toward another system, just a general love for the gaming world in general. That's the good definition of a "Famboy."
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on November 03, 2001 at 06:52 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks