What's new

Do You Talk To Yourself? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Is it common to talk to one's self?
I imagine most people do it (to varying degrees).
I was just curious as to how common it actually is.
I'll hold entire conversations without anyone else in the room. Haven't lost an argument yet. :)
(I'm guessing that every HTF member does a little mumbling (or screaming) to themselves while undergoing the tedious "Removing-the-stickers-from-a-DVD" process many times per week. Right? :D )

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"No, this day and age, I send email to myself, get with the times!" ;) ;) ;)
Jay the comedian!
Brent

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I do all the time. Ive been doing it all my life. I think it must have something to do with me being a loser though. I dont know if that is a prerequisit or what. ;)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I see people only talk to themselves when someone else is in the room. If no one is there, they go silent. Weird.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I talk to myself all the time. These are full scale conversations, mostly flashbacks repeating classic conversations from my past. I'm a delivery driver for Pepsico and just the other day I had a customer in one of my stores tell me "you know, that case of Pepsi isn't going to talk back to you...".

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
i talk out loud to myself
but i'm not talking to myself. as in i'm not having a conversation but if i'm doing math or something i have a tendency to say what it is i'm doing
i.e. "2, pie, r" etc.

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Holy Cow! You guys are kidding right?
I can understand blurring out a word or two or perhaps rehearsing a speech out loud but you guys don't really have a conversation with yourself do you? :D
"hello"
"hi"
"want to watch a movie tonight?"
"sure"
"want to cuddle tonight"
"sure"
:D
I have found that as I'm getting older (passed the 30 mark) I'm starting to blur things out more. Usually an emotional "shoot", "man, I hate that." or something to that nature.
Is talking out loud an age related thing? All the people who seems to talk to themselves are older folks.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I don't initiate conversations with myself, but I will respond if I ask myself something.... er, wait a minute.

Actually, I do "pretend" to have two selves with polar opposite opinions who debate with each other when I have a choice to make. I haven't named the two personalities or anything, but it is easier to draw a fair comparison when you conduct a point-counterpoint argument. For example:

"Should I buy that Unforgiven Special Edition DVD?"

"No! You ass. You already own the previous release. Quit wasting money."

"I'd like to have the extra content and the improved transfer, wouldn't you?"

"Not if I'm paying for it! How much of my money are throwing away this time?"

"I don't know.... Fifteen bucks?"

"Go for it, dude!"

I don't do any of this out loud though. That would be obnoxious.

Brad

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Talking to ones self must be common and normal. I'm concerned about the fact that I was talking to a stack of freshly dried clothes last week. :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks