What's new

Do you listen to music in stereo mode or extended stereo mode. (1 Viewer)

David Judah

Screenwriter
For me, it depends on what I'm listening to, although I will usually reproduce it as it was mixed. I've had some very good results with certain CDs in Pro-Logic II or Neo-6, but it varies. I really wish I could have a seperate music room like Scott, but I do have my Fronts placed optimally for 2 channel playback.

While I do think the room and placement contribute to the depth of a recording, what is done in the studio probably has a greater effect.

DJ

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I've found that DPL II music will greatly benefit many recordings,very few sounds better in pure 2ch in my collection.

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
I Mostly listen to cds in 2 channel stereo mode. Sometimes all channel stereo if I need louder volumes for parties and such.

RichardHOS

Second Unit
If we're talking about a live acoustic recording (vs. a studio mix), then I like the playback to be as close as possible to the sound of the original venue.

2 Channel is thus thrown out the window as a non-option.

Unfortunately, until I upgrade my preamp, I don't have a suitable processing mode to accomplish that, so I'm stuck with the stereo approximation.

GregBe

Second Unit
I have found that I like extended stereo better in my room.(I really wanted to like 2 channel). I am still tweaking it. For those of you that use multichannel, do you use DPL II or DTS Neo? What settings to you have them at?

Greg

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I would think so Roger ;)

In my case, its 2 channel analog direct(no sub). From my experiences with DPLII Music, I haven't really cared for it.

Steve Crowley

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely 2 channel. The width of your speakers can have an impact on the imaging you get at the listening position. You have to remember that when you listen to a symphony at a nice hall say 10th row center the reflections of the sound from the sides,ceiling and rear wall have the effect of the hall you are listening in. A properly set up 2 channel will convey this space in real time and give you the most realistic imaging. Of course when it comes to flybys,bullets ricocheting and creepy sounds surround is the only way to go.Cheers.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
When I do use PLII or Neo I always have them in Music mode so I can adjust the center width to get a seamless soundstage. I have my fronts pretty wide, so standard puts too much to the center.

Gary DeRoy

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't been in this forum before. Interesting thread.
I think there are only 2 reasons to listen to stereo music in a surround mode. One would be if you work for Dolby and the other is if your speakers aren't set up properly. Like some others here, I can fool just about anyone into thinking my center channel is ON and sometimes even fool myself as to whether or not the surrounds are on. With most DVD-A and SACD music I also prefer stereo (if it's done right) except for some 'stage' mixes like 'Night and Day'. DVD-V music is usually played in 5.1, though, but the rear is usually just used to increase depth or add ambience.

For anyone trying to find that perfect setup, don't be afraid to try unconventional things. It took me a long time to figure out my setup. My sitting position is 1' to the right of center. I couldn't move the right speaker because it would be in a traffic area. Eventually, the solution was as simple as moving the right speaker a couple inches closer to the wall (further from me) and the left one a couple inches away from the wall (closer to me). It was a very small sacrifice for the reward I got. Also, try to eliminate the point of 1st reflection, if you can. I've also found that some speakers, even good ones that image well, won't bounce sound off your back wall as well as others.

Gary

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
A properly set up 2 channel will convey this space in real time and give you the most realistic imaging.
Not in my opinion. Very few stereo recording played back in stereo has the "you're there" feel from it,and I always position my front speakers playing stereo only first,to get the best soundstage/imaging from them.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I think there are only 2 reasons to listen to stereo music in a surround mode. One would be if you work for Dolby and the other is if your speakers aren't set up properly.
You forgott the real reason. To please oneself and not one's "audiophile" friends.;)

David Judah

Screenwriter
It's a mixed bag when extracting multi-channel from two, but like I said, I have had some good results. A properly mixed multi-channel recording though, has a much better chance of conveying depth than a two channel recording, IMO.

DJ

Gary DeRoy

Stunt Coordinator
properly mixed multi-channel recording though, has a much better chance of conveying depth than a two channel recording
I totally agree, David. I'm just a bit old fashioned (because I AM old, I suppose). Multi-channel could be used to greatly increase the depth of music, but most of isn't (IMO) right now. When it is, I'll embrace it. But, I don't care to hear a drummer in my right surround speaker at one moment and then in my left front the next. I'm sure his drum set is not on wheels. Hopefully, unlike quadraphonic in the '70's, once the newness wears off, the gimmicks will stop. Besides, at my age, it's confusing ;)

Matt_Doug

Stunt Coordinator
For critical listening where volume is not an issue I use stereo. But having book shelf speakers all round I get higher spl's with 7 channel stereo which is necessary sometimes. If you have huge floor standers for fronts and serioius amps that can fill your room with authority I don't see the use for 7 channel stereo.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have large bookshelf speakers, and the main two are more than capable of filling the whole room all by themselves.

Very few stereo recording played back in stereo has the "you're there" feel from it,and I always position my front speakers playing stereo only first,to get the best soundstage/imaging from them.
With my old system, I was pleased with the sound, but never really got that "you are there" feeling either. With my current speakers and receiver however, I have much more depth to the soundstage. Not just with SACDs, but with well mixed redbook CDs, I get a lot of spatial cues that I never heard before. If you haven't experienced this, it's easy to say it isn't there. Your speakers play a LARGE role in this as well.

David Judah

Screenwriter
If you haven't experienced this, it's easy to say it isn't there
I think it's safe to say that both Lewis and I have experienced high quality stereo reproduction and it can be amazing. The point is that two channels are handicapped by their very nature and additional channels have a greater capability of capturing depth. We've been doing stereo for a long time, so surround sound has some catching up to do, but it has greater potentail for an immersive audio experience.

In the past we have been limited by feasible technology in the home, but that is becoming less of an issue now. Surround sound is still in its infancy for the home market, but it, with improved DSP, holds great promise.

Incidently, there are times when I prefer to listen to DVD-A or SACD in stereo, but it is because of the surround mix, not the limitation of surround sound in general.

DJ

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm not questioning anyone's gear or their ability to tweak it. I was simply stating that 2ch is NOT as simple as it would seem to achieve it's full potential. I am also not saying that anyone in this post doesn't know what they are talking about, nor that you have never heard what I am talking about.

Lewis, looks like a nice rig. IMO, your room seems a bit narrow, and the mains are maybe a bit too close together, and a bit low (it may be the picture) though they are well into the room. The right speaker looks like it is going to yeild a nasty first reflection at the listening position.

Incidently, there are times when I prefer to listen to DVD-A or SACD in stereo, but it is because of the surround mix, not the limitation of surround sound in general.
9 times out of 10, this is the case for me. It seems that the majority of the mixes sound overdone. I have yet to hear a DSP that creates a better sound with STEREO to ME.

There are plenty of DVDs that sound *great* - Diana Krall: Live in Paris, Nine Inch Nails: All That Could Have Been DTS, Sade:Live, make excellent use of the surrounds. All of these create a realistic, enveloping sound environment that most DSPs cannot recreate for me.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that my way is better, only stating my preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks