What's new

Do you find yourself skipping SD titles and 'waiting' for Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I'll certainly hold off buying most new films on DVD even if they are not immediately announced for Blu-ray release, on the assumption that they'll be out on Blu-ray within another few months.

But there are exceptions. Smaller independent films might not necessarily come out on Blu-ray at all, or might take years to appear - so I will still get the DVD in those cases. For example, I've just ordered 'An American Crime' on DVD (currently winging its way to me), on the assumption that it probably won't appear on Blu-ray for a long time. Of course I could be wrong - now that I've ordered the DVD, it will probably be announced on Blu-ray next week!

And if, by some miracle, films such as 'One Eyed Jacks', 'Taking Off' and 'Fedora' were finally to be announced as proper DVD releases, I'd be all over them.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Definitely I´ll wait. Apart from some horror/Euro cult/exploitation etc and certain "classics" (e.g. Warner box sets), there´s a slim chance that I´m going to get SD DVD-titles anymore.

Like already mentioned, titles like "The Mist", "Poltergeist", Zombie´s "Halloween", remastered "The Godfather Collection", etc are all something that I´m only going to get in Blu-ray and I´m willing to wait 6 month/year/whatever. I have so many titles already "to be watched", so I´m in no hurry. Many of the "new" films I´m going to see at the cinemas anyway (so getting the Blu-ray-release e.g. from the sales later on is often a good option for me)...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Yup. I'm nearly exclusively BD now, too. I picked up a couple animated TV series which will NEVER see the light of day on high def, but those are the exception, not the rule. I think the only non-BD stuff I want to get between now and Christmas is the Batman: TAS series box set and SportsNight.

Loregnum

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
I only buy some TV shows on DVD. I haven't bought a movie on dvd in oh, 2.5 or more years.

If it is a flick I may want to see which I do not want to wait for the BD release then I'll rent it.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Yes I will continue to buy SD.

I do a lot of traveling for business and so will still buy SD to watch on the road.
Price is also a factor. I weigh additional cost of a blu ray compared to SD. Depending on how much I like the movie, how much better I think the movie will look in blu-ray and if that difference is worth the increase in cost, I decide to purchase blu ray or SD. I have Verizon Fios with over 100 HD channels. I see plenty of HD movies ( sadly not always available in original aspect ratio) so there is plenty to watch.
Everything looks great in HD. I never thought I would care about CNN or the Weather Channel in HD but they look good. With the exception of TCM and some other channels I will say that I rarely watch SD cable TV. I think there is a much bigger difference between SD cable TV and HDTV than there is between SD DVD and blu-ray .

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

Off topic a bit, but I think we'll soon see consumers demanding cable companies stop their ridiculous pricing structure.

In order to get HD channels, I have to subscribe and pay for the SD channels too. I don't even watch those crappy channels anymore. That's like forcing me to buy an SD DVD when I am paying for the BD.

Thivanka R. Perera

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thivanka Rukshan Perera
Sometimes I cave in and buy DVD's. I was waiting this whole time till they released 'Heat' on Blu-ray, but there just wasn't any announcement. And when I checked amazon, the DVD was just $7.99! Too good to pass up, so I bought it. I'm sure now they'll announce Heat next month. ;)

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
My collection is complete enough that I'm not buying ctalog titles much anymore. Any new titles (Iron man, Dark Knight, Hellboy II, Indiana Jones) will be Blu-Ray day and date and that's what I'll get.

I'm making a list of the movies I will double dip for the BD upgrade but it's not much. And I'll still get SD DVD tv sets if they're not offered on BD.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
For newer flicks (blind buys, etc) I'm buying mostly used SD stuff. Old stuff, like all the horror films I bought recently for next month, I don't mind so much picking up SDs new but it does cross my mind. Within a year I'll actually buy a BD player and start on those with some of my most favs, like Kubrick stuff.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Depends on the title. I use films (sometimes whole films, many excerpts) in my courses and for those, I'll continue getting SD versions until my school becomes "BD" (if ever). For example, I recently picked up the John Adams HBO series in SD (though I believe it will be BD, also--not sure, though) because I'm far likelier to use it in class at some point.

My setup makes SD look pretty good, so I have no qualms about continuing with SD purchases in some circumstances. Boxed sets of films that have taken a long time to get to SD DVD, catalogue titles that are inexpensive, TV box sets that are inexpensive and/or shot on video (and not very likely to have an HD release) and kid DVDs (I don't think I need The Wiggles in 1080p--my 3 year old son doesn't care :laugh: ) comprise the list of likely SD purchases. If and when such titles come out on BD AND I feel the need to "upgrade"--the SD sets will make gifts for the family and friends I KNOW will never go "blu".

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I have to say, that this type of sale will almost "force" me to buy some SD DVDs (I just ordered 4 sets)..

DVD - Warner Buy 1 Get 1 Free

Great selection of Warner box sets (some of these films might arrive in Blu-ray at some point, but I doubt that all of them).

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yeah, I was checking out that sale myself. I'd love to get From Beyond the Grave, the Amicus anthology. But wasn't sure what to pair it up with. Is the Scooby Doo live action movie any good? I've been craving the cartoon...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
It's a good sale but I cannot buy SD-DVD anymore, no matter how inexpensive.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Not only do I find myself skipping SD titles, but I find myself skipping the SD section of this forum more and more. I'm looking for BD news.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
In addition to waiting on BDs even if they're not day-n-date with their DVD counterparts, I definitely hold off on double dips.

Perfect case in point, I've been waiting for a new DVD of The Big Lebowski and one is now coming out. But now that I'm BD capable, I'm not buying it. Pre-BD, I'd already have it on pre-order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks