What's new

Do you eat the little brown paper on a peanut? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Eating peanuts with the paper is like eating grapes with the skin on - both taste better peeled, but who can be bothered?

Mike D.

Stunt Coordinator
Denward,
Actually, if you eat a relatively low fat diet otherwise, having peanuts as a part of your regular diet isn't a bad idea. Here are a couple of okay reads if you are interested:
http://www.peanut-institute.org/Satu...uratedFFT.html
http://www.lauralewis.com/article_0301c.htm
There's a lot of better stuff in print journals, but these two kind of summarize the idea. I'm kind of a health nut, I do a lot of weight training and aerobic exercise. There's VERY little junk food in our house, dry roasted peanuts and microwave popcorn are about it. It's always been that way, and thus my kids don't even realize the difference.
Cees,
I hadn't heard of that (the little goblin), I'll try it tonight.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mike,
Seen it?
BTW I have to post a serious warning here. Peanuts can be very dangerous for children. They tend to swell considerably if they get a chance to absorb water (lay a peanut in a saucer, so it's just covered with water - within a few minutes it's apparently much larger!).
People sometimes "throw" them up and then catch them in the mouth. This can very easily lead to get one in your throat - in which case it may get swollen and can not only be removed with great difficulty, but also litterally close down the lung tube they got stuck in.
With little children this tube is one of the upper tubes, or even the trachea - with great danger of fast suffocation.
Always have them split the peanuts at least in two, don't let them eat peanuts by putting more than 1 in the mouth at a time, and make them put the peanuts in their mouth with their fingers - not by eating from the hand throwing the head backwards (if you see what I mean). Also, not by "shooting" the peanut between two fingers (e.g. from within the "brown paper") into the mouth!
No talking while eating - and chew!
In fact my advise would be to hesitate to feed peanuts to children under 7 years.
Sorry for the rather rash and frivolous suggestion in my previous post about eating them with 3-year olds!
Cees
[Edited last by Cees Alons on October 22, 2001 at 05:39 PM]

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Mike D, you are hysterical. All these years on the Forum, only 106 posts, and you're in the After Hours Lounge talking about peanut paper.
BTW, you are one of the Beastie Boys, right? "I'm Mike D and I get respect / Your cash and your jewelry are what I expect."
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!

Mike D.

Stunt Coordinator
Cees,
Yea, we saw it. Pretty funny, I'd never even noticed it before. He thinks it's pretty cool.
Another concern with peanuts is allergy to peanut protein. Our pediatritian indicated that 3 years was the accepted age for peanut products, but your right RE the choking hazzards. Small children shouldn't have peanut butter either.
Andrew,
Though I only have 106 posts, I'm on the forum almost every day, always have been. I just don't have much to say. Most of my posts have been in the Hardware section probably, when I was considering buying an SVS sub (eventually did, to great satisfaction). Some of the things I've seen in After Hours over the years have really cracked me up, I'm glad to have contributed to the high standard set by some! :)
I use to listen to the Boys back in high school, but alas, I'm not one of them.
Mike (Darrin, that is) :)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I eat the peanut paper, so does my dad, but i dont like peanuts so yeah...
Now I've had something called 'white rabbit' and it's a Chinese thing and there actually is a rice paper outside the candy that you are supposed to eat and it melts in your mouth and is really cool. But it's not the peanut paper though.
Yeah, i got alot of those sitting in my cupboards... dont really like them, got sick of them...
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
Birthday: November 29 (Sagittarius)
Horoscope:
Sagittarius - You are very sexy and women are attracted to you.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
What peanut paper? I just rip open the plastic wrapper and pour them into my mouth.
yum.gif
I hate thoughs darn Spanish peanuts.
crazy.gif

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks