What's new

Do you care when a DVD doesn't include the teasers or trailers or TV spots? (1 Viewer)

PaulKTF

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Just wondering what the forum's opinion on missing teaser/trailer/TV spots are.

I only care when the missing teaser or trailer or TV spot(s) has footage that didn't make it into the final film. THen it really annoys me. Beyond that, I'd rather have that space on the DVD used for a commentary track or a making of featurette.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Paramount really dropped the ball on the last two Martin and Lewis box sets. At least half of their films had trailers which featured special footage of Dean and Jerry talking to the audience about their new movie. One particularly clever one was for SAILOR BEWARE. The trailer starts as if it were the feature with the Paramount logo and the opening title card. Then - without warning - Jerry crashes through the movie screen and yells at the projectionist to stop the film saying "our picture isn't playing now - it's coming next."

It was a great opportunity to include this rare footage which hasn't been seen in years, but not one trailer was included in these two box sets.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Quite simply and honestly, trailers are the single most important DVD extra in the marketplace for me. If required, I can forego all other extras but this one; when the trailer is missing, I go white hot. It's a ridiculous omission, especially in light of how little disc space they take up. I can sort of let it slide when there are music rights issues (though that always smacks of studios having shallow pockets), but otherwise, it's inexcusable, especially when the trailer appears on an earlier edition but is dropped on a reissue (like today's otherwise stellar release of the 2-disc CE of TAXI DRIVER), requiring me to hold on to two DVDs of the same movie. You have no idea the sigh of relief I gave when it was uncovered that TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE would feature a trailer after all. Sometimes I feel like weeping at the recent trend of missing trailers for Spielberg (my favorite director) films...THE TERMINAL, WAR OF THE WORLDS, MUNICH...sigh...(shakes head, collapses shoulders, defeated)

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
Yeah, this trend of not including trailers is something that really bothers me, especially for older titles where's it's fun and interesting to see how films were promoted in different eras or it can be nostalgic if you remember a certain trailer really affecting you.

They're an art unto themselves.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
It bugs me enormously too, especially on older titles. I would have thought this would be a no-brainer by now that the bulk of DVD lovers enjoy having original advertising material included. And yes, just like Travis, I hold on to older releases of movies in order to have trailers that have been omitted from newer reissues - I have an extremely old "Live" Video DVD of AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON that has a teaser left off of Universal's otherwise stellar DVD.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I think trailers are important, too. I love the one on the Johnny Dangerously DVD, with Joe Piscopo in the projection booth (in character as Danny Vermin). Those types of trailers are the best, and also the ones with cut scenes of course (a couple of my favorites are from the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi).

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I love trailers, so yes, I'd prefer it if the studio includes the film's trailer on its own DVD release.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
I almost never care unless it's a really special trailer (like the Kubrick ones).

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Trailers should be mandatory ,no matter what the movie is.You get to see how the movie was marketed.Im especially upset when an 80s movie is released without a trailer.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I sometimes enjoy watching them once, but I could care less if trailers are included. But I also don't care if there are featurettes or any of that stuff; I like a quality presentation of the movie, and anything else I can take or leave.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

Aaron, this is how I feel, except, often I don't even watch them once.

That said, it is ridiculous they can't include the trailer, yet jam pack it full of "previews" many times where you can't even skip them.

JohnTRU

Stunt Coordinator
Not at all.

I buy the DVD for the film, not the trailers. Even if they're on the disc, I'll probably watch them once (if that) and not bother about them again.

Sure, for completists' sake they're essential, but in all reality they're rather superfluous. Except of course they're the trailers for the Star Wars prequels and then they just remind me that 'a good trailer does not a good movie make'.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
It's not a deal-breaker or anything, but I definitely like to watch them. I think they're much more representative of the time the film was made than the movies themselves. Plus it's fun to watch the evolution of trailers as an art-form, as they get slicker and more misleading.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Nine times out of ten, the trailers and TV spots are the only extras I watch on a disc. I find myself disappointed when they are not included - especially for older pre-2000s films where the trailers were sometimes more creative than the film they were promoting.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
They mean nothing to me.

In fact, I get bothered when they call them "Bonus Material". They are usually never remastered and so look pretty bad. Now, since I rarely watch them, this might not still be true but it was the few times I looked.

I actually get mad when they are the only "bonus material" on a dvd release.

I consider Bonus Material to be newly made material, or material never before seen.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
To me, including a trailer is one of the most basic requirements of a disc. Back in the LaserDisc days, we'd get a film and a trailer, and that was it most of the time.

While you do get more stuff with discs today, I cannot fathom the reasoning behind leaving off the movie's trailer. I actually agree with an earlier poster who thought they should be mandatory!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm more upset over DVDs not having music videos. In the 80's, they were a lot bigger part of the promotion of the film than TV spots or trailers. They included clips of the film, and were many times shot with the cast of the film in the video.

While you could say it has something to do with music rights, if THE ADVENTURES OF FORD FAIRLAINE can be released, as a budget title, with the Billy Idol "Cradle of Love" video on it, a song that was on a different label than the film, and a more popular song than it was a film, than most films should be able to carry the music videos. Especially when the song only existed on the soundtrack for the film.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I don't mind when it's a new movie missing trailers, because I'll probably already have the trailer somewhere on one of my drives. But I do get pissed when it's an old classic and the trailers not on the DVD. I'm a bit of a fan of ancient movie trailers, I collect em, someone has to! ;) -

Danoldrati

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Oldrati
Hi
It's unthinkable not to put the trailer on the DVD. I'm always disappointed when it's not included.
Great day
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks