Do we have any idea what pricing will look like for BR/HD titles?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by JasonB, Jan 20, 2006.

1. JasonB

JasonB Agent

I saw a link where pricing was mentioned at 60.00 per title for the first HD offerings? I hope that is horribly wrong info.

Do we have any idea where pricing will be for Blu-Ray/HD titles? Are we in for a revert back to the days of laserdisc pricing?

Most new release titles that I pick up on release day from the local BB or other stores are in the 15-24.00 range. Are HD versions really going to be double the price? This could completely change my decision to agressively enter the HD/BR market. [​IMG]

2. Brent M

Brent M Producer

If Blu-Ray and HD-DVD price titles at $60 we won't have to worry about which format wins out because they'll both die a horrible death fast.

3. JackKay

JackKay Second Unit

AMEN

4. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I think $40 would be to much. $30 seems more reasonable for an initial rollout price, IMO. $60 would be insane.

5. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator

Over on the AVS Forum, a dealer reported list prices of $29.99-$39.99 for the ~20 HD-DVD titles coming March 28.

That's not far off current disks, although we probably won't see the same level of discounting.

6. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

The reason that the studios lost pricing power is because of the large markets that discounters such as Walmart and Target, to name a few, command a large number of customers. Yet discounters are the reason DVDs are a mainstream product.

When cost-conscious consumers see a list price of $19.95 and 29.95 guess which way they're going. If HD wants to be the only format then it will have to cede pricing power. If not then it becomes a niche product and SD remains king.

7. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

I'm on the fence with DVD re-issues at $19.99.

Such as Ferris Bueller, and the Bruckheimer trilogy.
    I'd buy them at $29.99 if they were day/date/SOON.

Any speculative advice?

8. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Both camps are shooting for MSRP of ten bucks over MSRP of DVD titles.
    Hence;
    "Dealer reported list prices of $29.99-$39.99 for the ~20 HD-DVD titles coming March 28."
    I hope they follow the super fast street pricing of UMD Video for PSP. In Nov. KB I on UMD was $29.99 at BB, in Jan. it's $14.99 at BB!

9. Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell Second Unit

I will only buy HD content (be it BD or HD DVD) if they are no more than CDN$5 more than the SD counterpart. Any more than that is just stupid.

10. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

I suggest they lower the list by at least $5 on DVD, if they want us to look at HD.

Over time, cap DVD at $20 list. And then discount HD to $20.