Do video cards decode mpeg-2 DSS boradcasts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles Bober, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Charles Bober

Charles Bober Stunt Coordinator

I was under the assumption that no video cards decode mpeg-2 DSS broadcasts. I'm planning on building a new monster multimedia pc and want to be able to watch DirecTv on my computer. If this is possible, which cards are recommended? I'm looking to pay up to $350 for a video card.
    Thanks in advance.
    ------------------
    DTS Laser Disc. Size Does Matter

2. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

There aren't any video cards that can decode a DSS broadcast. But if you have a video card with video in, you can run the video out of your DSS box into the video in on your computer.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

While DBS do indeed use MPEG encoding, it's encrypted. You'd have to have an official DirecTV card to do this
    Jeff Kleist

4. Charles Bober

Jesse,
    quote: But if you have a video card with video in, you can run the video out of your DSS box into the video in on your computer.[/quote]
    If I read this right, I can run coax from the DSS receiver out to a video card that has a video (coax lead) in, correct?
    Jeff,
    quote: While DBS do indeed use MPEG encoding, it's encrypted. You'd have to have an official DirecTV card to do this[/quote]
    Excuse my ignorance, but can you explain this? I'm confused by this statement. Can I or can't I watch DirecTv if I follow Jesse's instructions above? Maybe I used the wrong terminology with "decoding." All I want to do is watch programs on my computer, nothing else at this point.
    Also, some of these new video cards offer a Tivo like free service called Digital VCR where you can record right to your hard drive. Would I be able to do this with DirecTv?
    If I can do any of this stuff, which cards do you guys recommend? Right now I was looking at maybe an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon or ASUS 7100 Deluxe Combo. These seem to be the best choices but I'm definitely open to any suggestions. Remember, I'm willing to go up to $350 for a video card that gives me the DirecTv option and has excellent DVD playback capability.
    Thanks for all your help.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Charles Bober on October 31, 2001 at 03:11 PM]
    [Edited last by Charles Bober on October 31, 2001 at 03:15 PM]

5. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

Charles,
    Yes you can just take the composite (or S-Video or coax) out from your DSS reciever and into the VIDEO-IN on your video card. This will allow you to watch DirecTV on your computer.
    I personally like the ATI-All-In-Wonder Radeon. It will also allow you to record DirecTV to your harddrive. Plus you can get one for about $150.

6. Charles Bober

Thanks to both you guys for clearing this issue up. You've been a tremendous help.
    ------------------