What's new

do those bamboo citronella flled torches keep mosquitoes away? (1 Viewer)

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
I’m resurrecting this thread thanks to the West Nile Virus.
Has anyone here actually tried one of the CO2 based mosquito traps that are less expensive than the Mosquito Magnet? We’re considering buying the Mosquito Trap by Lentek from The Sharper Image for 349.95.
Here’s the link:
The Mosquito Trap by Lentek at 'The Sharper Image'
As Kirk mentioned above, Andy’s link is to Mosquito Magnet's marketing material and is biased. The entry level Mosquito Magnet for $500.00 doesn’t have a catalytic converter like their more expensive models yet they still claim it is effective at removing mosquitoes from a ¾ acre area.
The Mosquito Trap from Lentek produces CO2 & uses blue LED lights but doesn’t have a chemical attractant like the Mosquito Magnet line does.
Has anyone here tried one of these less expensive models?
Jay Taylor

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Don't forget Ebay, guys. I found the Lentek Mosquito Trap for $127 instead of the overpriced $349.99 the Sharper Image is seling it at.
Ebay is probably also a good source for the $500 products as well. I figure, hey, if you're unsure of the product, might as well buy one off Ebay (used if you really want it cheap). :)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
As Kirk mentioned above, Andy’s link is to Mosquito Magnet's marketing material and is biased.
Of course, The Sharper Image knows nothing about marketing.
If someone is selling one of these used systems on eBay, you can assume with some degree of certainty that it's being sold because it doesn't work. ;)

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

Could be, but then you can find almost anything used on eBay.

I was hoping to find out how well they work from someone that actually has tried one of these lower priced units.

Has anyone on this forum actually tried a lower cost mosquito killing device like the Mosquito Trap?

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
I've had pretty good luck with a citronella candle I bought at Wal Mart. Our back yard is full of all kinds of bugs and the candle does a pretty good job of keeping them, and mosquitos, at bay.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Our paper last week had a report on mosquito repellants. "Deep Woods Off" seems to last the longest, well over 2 hours. Skin-so-Soft also worked, but you had to keep applying it every 15 minutes or so. The mosquito traps all seemed to capture a lot of mosquitos, but they also attracted them as well.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
There's this one machine I saw on an infomercial. Here's a website for it.
http://fightthebite.com/
I think I'd prefer this method rather than CO2. It attracts them in 4 different ways, then they get stuck on the filter and can't go away. If everybody had one of these in their back yard, the mosquito population would go down. Another way is to dump any standing water that's out there with their larva swimming around in them. I hate getting bit from those little bastards. I'll probably have one of these machines someday. Now, if one of these machines was placed about every 1000 feet all over the world, maybe we can make the mosquito population extinct. Who needs 'em?

David Susilo

Screenwriter
or you can choose the natural way. I plant Lemon Balm on my deck and no bugs nor mosquito IMMEDIATELY (well, not really, takes about one day). It's been 3 weeks I had no mosquito, bugs, fly, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread