Do some older DVD movies display bars on all four sides?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DaleI, Jan 5, 2014.

1. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

Just hooked up my new Sony blu-ray player to my HDTV (1080i) set.Is it common for older DVDs to show black bars on all four sides of the picture when playing. I put in the 1.85:1 "Somewhere in Time" DVD that was produced in 2000 and it gives the postage stamp effect. This DVD lists it at 1:85.1 widescreen.

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Yes, if the disc/transfer is an older one that is not an "enhanced for widescreen" (aka "anamorphic") transfer, it will show bars on all 4 sides.

3. Jari K

Jari K Producer

The DVD is non-anamorphic. You have to use "zoom" (not 16:9/wide - since it's stretching the picture) from your TV set if you want the 1.85:1 ratio to "fill the tv screen".

4. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    DVDs are supposed to have flags that tell a player if they are 4:3, anamorphic widescreen or non-anamorphic widescreen. Some players (my 5-year old Panasonic Blu-ray player, for instance) will automatically zoom non-anamorphic DVDs so that there are no black bars on the sides. However, if a disc is not flagged correctly, it might leave me with the all sides ("window boxed") display. I then have to zoom in using my TV, since my player doesn't allow a manual zoom.

5. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    Also, keep in mind that some HD displays disable zooming for HDMI inputs that feed an HD signal (720 or 1080).

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Yep. I've been culling these (non-anamorphic) discs from my collection. Between my tv, receiver, and Blu-Ray player I can't get a uniform expand to work. So out they go. :)

7. Jari K

Jari K Producer

If the tv set shows 4:3 image correctly (black bars on the sides), it'll show the non-anamorphic dvd with "postage stamp effect". You can then use "zoom" option from your tv set. If you use 16:9/wide (from your tv), it'll stretch the image. Both options are far from ideal, but at least zooming is better than stretching.Not sure what the problem is (other than the fact that the non-anamorphic dvds suck), but here you go.