What's new

Do new speakers need to be break in just like new cars? (1 Viewer)

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator
As you all know I just bought a new set of MB Quart floor standing speaker model QL S830. The speaker sounded amazing when I played my first song in light piano melody and vocal from Jacky Chaung. Then for my second song I pop in Alicia Key. Again the piano part sounded amazing but when it hits couple deep bass that when it all started to go wrong. Now Alicia sounded like she is having a sore throat from a bad cold.
I immediately called the saleman at YAWA Online. The saleman told me its fine and I just need to break in the speaker for it to play properly. He told me to play it in medium volume for at least 2 hours a day and its should be breakin in 4 weeks. Is this bul or for real? Please help, thanks.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Did you audition these speakers thoroughly in person?

If they don't sound the same as what you heard before there could be a fault. You seem to describe something drastic Yes break-in is slight, but real, it won't change drastically (or even noticeably usually) but speakers can change slightly after their beginning initial use.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well, you can see this thread for a to and fro discussion on this matter. Realistically, breakin is you getting used to the speakers. Note though, that they are 4 ohm, 87 dB sensitivity so perhaps you're taxing your amp or receiver as well as taxing them by having them try to reproduce the lower octave or two properly.
Try incorporating a sub but I'd first address issues of raising the speakers higher since they're only 37" high. Play with the height using cinder blocks, phone books, whatever you've got.

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
My experience is that some speakers will change and break ini over a few days, but not weeks. Maybe he was just trying to put you off until its too late to bring back the speakers back at no cost to you. If it sounds bad now, it probably will not get better to the point of satisfying you.

VinhT

Second Unit
In the 29th issue of The Audio Critic (an astonishingly honest publication), Tom Nousaine addressed the notion of speaker break in. He conducted measurements and his answer to that often misguided question is, "Hell, no."

I often feel that the concept of in-home speaker break in was concocted so that purchasers of expensive, underperforming, audiophile-targeted speakers would have time to adjust to the colored sound.

stephanX

Stunt Coordinator
speakers do have a minor break in time, which usually affects the tweeter, so if you said the sound was a bit brighter than in the showroom , id say wait a few days and if the brightness hasnt receded a bit, then its probably not going to. woofers usually dont need much of a break in especially on the lower octaves where our ears are less ensitive.

I do notice that headphones always sound a bit bright and treble heavy in the first couple days of listening but seem to mellow out. Then again i run sony mdr-v150s (not the greatest headphones, but one of the best values for under 30$ cad headphones)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I have mostly thought its your ears that break into the speaker, however there may be a slight break in period for cones to get vibrating right and such but this should not take more than a day or two. There are two sides to this story just like most and those that are very set in their ways about each.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
"There are two sides to this story just like most and those that are very set in their ways about each. "

Yes, there's the scientific side and the audiophile side. If speakers had to break-in, it would be measureable. Those measurements would be repeatable. Anyone care to post some repeatable measurements?

David

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator
For me, the real problem was not breaking in but my Yamaha receiver RX-V650. My V650 just doesn't have enough juice to powered my MBQ S830. Its put out soo much distortion when there are a lot of backround music/bass. I guess its trying too hard at it. How was I identify the issue?

I spend a whole month rewiring, configuring OSD basically tackle every component individually. Eveything is fine and I can't find anything wrong with any of my component except I suspecting somehow my V650 just not compatible with my MBQ S830. Then I contacted David at YawaOnline and got a deal to help me out with purchacing a NAD C352 with full refund garanteed if problem is not my under powered received as David at yawaonline believed to be as well.

I brought it home over the weekend and hook it up. As soon as I turn on the power the mystery is solved and bass is coming thru without the help of my woofer. I disconnect my woofer for the original sound I refered. My speaker now sounds wonderful with no distortion at all. The only draw back is that its so clear and untampered. I'll need to get use to hear all the imperfection from my CDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks