Do men use pot pourri? If not, what else?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Black, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I just moved into a new apartment and the place is great except one room smells like cat urine. My first thought was to get a box of pot pourri and put it in the closet but that just sounded weird. Now, I'm not one of these people to play into stereotypes but I am curious as to what other guys are using to mask apartment smells. Thanks!

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Do you own or rent? The only way to defeat cat urine is to change the carpeting and pad. Get the landlord to change your carpet.
    Another thing you could try is to soak the area in Fabreeze. That will hopefully kill the odor. You can't mask it. But if your only alternative is to mask it, then try a Glade plugin air-freshener. It will provide a constant aroma. The problem with pot pourri is that it has to be either stirred occasionally or simmered to provide good aroma.
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Lysol and Old Spice are the only scents permitted in a proper bachelor dwelling.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

4. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Stunt Coordinator

I use potpourri in my house, but...
    as the earlier poster mentioned, there is only one way to get rid of cat urine--get rid of the carpet AND the pad. If you are lucky, none of it has gotten in the little cracks and crevices around the baseboards and whatnot, because even with the carpet and pad gone the smell can linger.
    Do not hesitate, and don't bother trying to cover it up. Cat urine is like radioactivity, there's just no way to get rid of it, and the half-life of that smell is really long.
    ------------------
    Dustin A. Davis '94
    Dustin Davis for Dummies : My HT : Dallas HT Group
    "But they are useless. They can only give you answers." - Pablo Picasso on computers

5. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

I am the proud owner of a nice potpourri crock pot. Makes my house smell good. However, I'm married, so I can get away with this...
    ------------------
    -Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )

6. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Clean Air candles from Wicks n' Sticks.
    No self-respecting man would have a flowery smell in his bachelor pad. [​IMG]
    Then again, the only thing for cat urine is to remove the source. The carpet will have to go, probably.
    Todd
    P.S. I'm married, so we have all kinds of scented crap throughout the house. I prefer a more "monolithic" platter, if you will.

7. andrew markworthy

The PC answer is that people shouldn't be tied to gender roles. Back in the real world, I think that men can use pot pourri if they like - ditto it's perfectly okay to have flowers, etc (just don't go overboard with it). For what it's worth, I always like a vase of flowers in the living room (they look nice, okay?), but I don't rhapsodise about it.
    There are lots of different types of pot pourri - you don't have to get one that smells floral. However, note that the smell isn't all that strong after a couple of days. When we had a (flatulent) dog, we found a better bet was a good quality room spray. Crabtree and Evelyn do an amazing range (there are some fairly butch scents as well as more fun ones; at least in the UK you can get a Vanilla one which makes a room smell of chocolate). And trust me, women like this sort of thing.
    However, in the specific case of cat pee, getting rid of the smell is a nightmare. Try a thorough cleaner by all means, but I fear a new carpet may be the ultimate answer.
    Oh yes, and be careful about candles! This is a true story - a near-neighbour of ours decided to light a candle and put it in his window on the day of Princess Diana's funeral (for some reason a lot of people did). It lit the curtains and burnt his house down.
    [Edited last by andrew markworthy on July 18, 2001 at 11:48 AM]

8. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Stunt Coordinator

FWIW, I am single and I have potpourri in the house. Chicks dig it. [​IMG]
    I can assure you that any woman has less aversion toward a man whose house smells like potpourri than one that smells like armpits and cat piss. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Dustin A. Davis '94
    Dustin Davis for Dummies : My HT : Dallas HT Group
    "But they are useless. They can only give you answers." - Pablo Picasso on computers

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I always found that a bowl of two week old pizza would cover up all signs of cat urine. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

10. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

11. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Cheese. Lots of cheese.
    ------------------
    "Are you a pothead, Focker?"

12. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

A little off-topic question here, but I'm really wondering this and the situation just happened to pop up here so I though I'd ask. Take note of the following quotes from posts above:

13. Ben Motley

I so know what you're talking about Bill. I used to work with a gay guy and I actually got warned for sexual harrassment just for crackin' wise! [​IMG] Okay, fine, I can deal with that, but the problem was that this guy had always from day 1 made a big presentation about it and made constant jokes at his own expense. I got caught chiming in just because I was working with the group and was in the conversation. It was ridiculous. Example, he'd run around exhulting "I'm just a big queen!", and I might say at some later point, "Well, you are just a big queen". Same thing, right? WRONG! I was slapped on the wrist and had to be on guard the rest of my days there. Yes Bill, double standards suck, hard, but we have to deal with them.

14. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Thanks for everyone's input. Any idea where I can get inscents and candles online for a good price? Thanks again!

15. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

Too embarassed to buy scented candles in person Don? [​IMG]
    I'm not sure about online but i'd say go to wally world, well actually i guess they have a website so try there
    ------------------

16. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Doesn't anyone here know the difference between self deprecation and antagonism? This is really starting to piss me off! Of course, it's probably just my McTemper. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA
    [Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on July 19, 2001 at 07:29 AM]

18. Craig Chatterton

Craig Chatterton Stunt Coordinator

You should really see Down to Earth to see some Anti-PC they-can-say-it-why-can't-we.
    An old rich white man talking about The "White" Mall and the "Black" Mall. Hilarious.
    ------------------
    Virgo: All Virgo's are extremely friendly and intelligent, except for you. Expect a big surprise today, when you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick.

19. Ben Motley

Ken, don't get pissed bud. I can promise you, in my situation anyway, it was not antagonisation. I had absolutely nothing against the guy, was only joining in on the conversation, and he didn't even give a damn. It was someone else, a hetero reactionary female, who reported the "incident" to our boss. It was really ridiculous. I will be the first to admit that there are terrible travesty's that occur every day in this world, but this just wasn't one of them.

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Ben,
    I was not even close to being angry. I was just taking the opportunity to exploit the stereotypes of my Irish heritage. I was hoping someone would join in so that I could sue them and retire comfortably. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA