What's new

Do I need to hook up DVD digital AND analog audio? (1 Viewer)

John Walker

Agent
The subject says it all.

Do I need to hook up the analog also in order to play plain CD's or will they work as "2.0" via the digital coax?

Thanks

John

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
However...if you do connect up the analog cables you then have an opportunity to compare the sound of your DVD-players DAC's vs. your receiver's DAC's. Some people find that one or the other sounds better.

MarcWi

Agent
I have a related question. I just hooked up mynew system adn I have 2 dvd players. One is hooked up digital coax and the other via digital optical. The coax connection is playing cds fine but not the optical. Can anyone think of why?

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Maybe your receiver only allows one type of input per optical/digital cable?

I know it sounds silly, but I have an older Yahama integrated receiver RV420 (silly impulse purchase :angry: !) that will not let you set up more than one type of input to a connection. So say you have two dvd players. You would need to designate one as DVD with Coaxial and another as either CD or D-Cable or some other thing to get it to work...

Hope it helps...

Also note that on that Yamaha receiver I can only have the player accept PCM signals only, so anything that isn't encoded as such will not go through. Go through the options on the DVD players and make sure that your receiver can handle the signal from the input...

MarcWi

Agent
WEll--the dvd audio works fine so I dont think tats the issue-its just cd audio that was problematic....

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Marc,

Did you look at the settings of that player? Often the optical connection has to be switched on specifically.
If you have the manual, consult it to find that out (or else, just go to the setup and see what's there).

Cees

MarcWi

Agent
well I don't think that would be the case as if I play a DVD Im getting the sound through the optical connection....

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
If you have upsampling enabled, is that pass through or does that only work over the analog? if it's pass through, your receiver might not be able to decode it. I don't know if this is how it works though.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Upsampling PCM to 24/96? I feel kind of stupid for mentioning this as I don't know a lot about it; however, it might have something to do with your problem. You might want to dig around in your dvd player settings to make sure it's not on, or something.

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
I don't know if it matters anymore, or it may just be specific to brand or model. I have an older Denon receiver and must use the analog connection if I want to use some of the DSP modes such as "Mono Movie."

Hope that helps. Oh, by the way, try Hemmings for the tie-rod! :)

John Walker

Agent
That's exactly what I was referring to. I haven't got all the cables yet so it isn't set up.

Am I going to find I need the analog connection for CD or MP3?

Thanks

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks