Do I need it?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PCs' started by HT4ME, May 6, 2013.

1. HT4ME

HT4ME Agent

Matthew Lennartz
    Hello everyone,

I am in the process of building a home theater (among other things) into my 1900 square foot basement. As part of my HT configuration, I have decided to take a three year old pc, install 2, 3 tb hard drives and create a media box. My primary application that will run the show is My Movies. The PC has a blu ray drive and a dvd drive. With all things being equal, do I really need to buy a separate UD, in my case the Oppo BDP-105, or am I ok with just the media server? 90% of what I will be doing is movie playback.

Thanks!

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    The Oppo buys you SACD and DVD-Audio playback, also 3D.And the Oppo BDP-103 will suffice.

3. HT4ME

HT4ME Agent

Matthew Lennartz
    Wow! That save me allot of money. Thanks Steve.

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    If your intention is to hook the hard drives up to the Oppo then i wouldn't advise it as the Oppo BDP-103 has Cinavia in it, it will not play some ripped hard drive blu rays because of this, audio will mute on some titles after fifteen to twenty minutes of playback, i think you are better off buying a Mede8er MED600X3D 3D Media Player, it plays BD ISO's including 3D ones and has HD audio format support.