What's new

do I need decorder in DVD? (1 Viewer)

So I am trying to decide on a new DVD player for the HT.

How badly do I need a decoder in the DVD player- Can't that function be done by the receiver?

I was looking at the Denon DVD1600 vs 2800 vs Sony NS755, NS900 or S9000ES. There seems to be a big difference in price for what you get. For instance the Sony ns755V is least expensive, yet appears to have similar specs and as much capability.

Part of the difference in the machines is DVDa vs SACD. Which has greater availability and which is better? Also, the oripinal Question applies- the top of the line Sony (most expensive) lacks the decoder and is 2 channel vs multichannel SACD. I am confused. (NOTHING NEW) Please help! Thanks

Peter

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I'm relatively new at all this HT jargain, but I'm confused as to what you mean by 'decoder.' I don't think HT is anything like a DVD-Rom. You don't need a seperate decoder. You can connect your dvd player directly to your tv or through your receiver.. however you want to.

The audio signals need to be decoded for true 5.1

Some DVD players have built in decoders, some don't. I believe the signal passes (If hooked up digitally) to the receiver and as long as the receiver can decode the signal you are alright. So, my question is: Is a DVD player with a built in decoder necessary? Also, the next step would be about SACD or DVDa. Does the decoder also decode signals for those (if provided in the DVD) or can these also pass to the receiver via the digital output and be decoded there. I thought I read somewhere that for DVDa you need the separate analog outputs for each channel. Does this apply to SACD as well?

Peter

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Hi Peter. Yes...this stuff does get confusing!

If your receiver can decode Dolby Digital and DTS, then you do not need a decoder in the dvd player. Most receivers sold in the last 2 or 3 years can handle DD and DTS. Some older receivers were Dolby Digital or DTS "ready", which meant that they would accept and pass the DD or DTS signal that had been decoded by the DVD player. If your receiver is DD "ready", then you need a decoder in your dvd player.

To listen to DD or DTS you will need to connect a digital cable (either coaxial or optical) to the appropriate digital input on your receiver. You cannot connect a digital audio signal to your tv.

To handle SACD or DVD-Audio, your receiver must have 6 channel external inputs. In these cases, the dvd player will decode the SACD and / or DVD-Audio and pass it through to your receiver. Both formats will give you excellent results. I would select one (or both) based on the available and upcoming library of music.

Another consideration will be the video quality of your dvd player. Do you have a HDTV? If so, you'll probably use the progressive scan feature of your dvd player. If not, then you may want to save some money by purchasing an interlaced dvd player.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Ahh. I understand, Peter. When you said 'decode,' the first thing that came to my mind was a DVD-Rom and decoder card. Well, I was a little off base. My apologies. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks