Do i need a processor/scaler?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Peter Keeling, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Peter Keeling

I want the best picture possible with a dlp projector and dont know if I need a video processor or not. If I do, which is the best at the best price?

Thanks,
    Peter Keeling

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

It really depends on the DLP projector...the best ones have DCDi (Faroudja). Great deinterlacer and scaler, or so I hear.

Some DVD players also have DCDi, and also do a great job.

What material will you be watching on the projector? Some people get something like a Lumagen or IScan processor/scaler for all of their source material (component, svideo, DVI, etc.).

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

In-projector scaling/processing isn't usually as hot as dedicated scaler/processors, so while you should be fine with just letting the projector do it all, using a dedicated processor for 1:1 pixel mapping is the most ideal route, and will yield the best benefits with higher quality projectors. Processors can range from the thousands into the tens and hundreds of thousands, HTPCs are a popular route to go. Again, depends heavily on what projector you are looking at...

4. Peter Keeling

im looking at the Benq 8700.

5. SteveFred

SteveFred Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone,

Well if you want the best possible picture for DVD's, the way to go is a DVD player with SDI output and a iScanHD w/SDI input from www.dvdo.com , then out to your projector via DVI cable.

This will bring DVD's to near HD quality [​IMG].

if you want to know more about SDI inputs do a search on this forum or

www.avsforum.com

and for the iScanHD

www.dvdo.com

and yes it will cost about $2000 more, but its the best we can do until HD-DVD's come out in a few years.

Steve

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Or you can save a couple of grand and get a DVI capable DVD player like a Momitsu V880. Unfortunately, all the DVI players have different issues (Momitsu has terrible looking subtitles and sluggish remote response, for example, while the Bravo D1 and D2 have serious quality control problems, etc.).

Peter, are you only concerned with DVD playback, or do you need a video processor for everything? You didn't say what you will use the projector for...

I have a Benq 8700+ and a Momitsu V880 using DVI. I use component video with the xbox. Occasionally I hook up my HTPC through DVI if I want to view WMV-HD content. I don't have an HDTV tuner box - I don't really watch any TV.