What's new

Do I have to sign with DTV to buy open box DTC-100? (1 Viewer)

Adam

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I saw a great deal on an open box DTC-100, and was going to buy just to have for future upgrades. However, the retailer said that I have to sign up for a new access card with Directv to buy it. I don't want it for that. It did not even have the access card with it. Is this standard policy with most stores or can you buy it just as a HD STB?

Thx.

Duke H

Stunt Coordinator
If you don't register the receiver within 30 days, you'll get fined something like $170.00. Or, you can buy the receiver, and then cancel the access card. You'll have to get a new one when you want to use the receiver, though.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
This is something that has come about due to the cost of equipment dropping drastically. Stores lose money on the hardware, as they intend to pick it up on the backside. They get a kickback for every satellite activated and part of your monthly subscription fee. Very similar to Cell Phones and a few other devices.

Another big one has to do with illegal Access card usage. People program cards to get everything without paying for it. Well, if you buy a DSS and activate it, the card and the reciever are "married" to each other. This ensures the use of a legal card, and that you are paying for your subscription.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
If your goal is to use the DTC-100 for off-air reception only there is no need for you to purchase an access card. You don't HAVE to use it for satellite reception. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread