What's new

Do collections of sports broadcasts count as TV on DVD? (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have, in addition to all my season sets of television series, a collection of old television broadcasts of St. Louis Cardinals baseball games from the old Busch Stadium from 1966-2005 (this set was released from A&E and New Video). Does that count as TV on DVD?

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
I think the key word in your post is "television". Bit of a clue there, methinks.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
If they don't count, I'm in trouble :laugh: I have a few myself, some NHL DVD's and some Dallas Cowboys games...late 70's games and the Super Bowl victories. Also the '05 Texas Longhorns win for the Div 1A title.

You brought up a point though, since I don't list my sports DVD's along with my other TV/DVD sets. Sounds like I need to update that spreadsheet

Mark Lx

Second Unit
I've got the Canada/Russia '72 series and the Philadelphia Flyers 10 greatest games (because it's got 5 games from the 70s). I would buy more such items if it's older stuff. A lot of unofficial releases of sports stuff on DVD can be found online, but I never got around to trying them. Of course, a lot of clips are online too.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
This is a good point - alot of offical MLB & NHL compilations with broadcast footage and complete games have been coming out and should get more coverage on TVSHOWSONDVD.com

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I've noticed over the past couple of years that there are more official releases getting available but it's a relatively new niche, I think. I also have that NY Rangers '94 Cup set.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

I've been renting parts of other sports releases from Netflix-- namely, one of the discs of that 1975 World Series between Boston and Cincinnati (I think that it was the 6th game), and several of the discs of that Chicago Bears 1985 NFL Champions release from Warner Bros. and NFL Films. I've even rented one disc of that L.A. Lakers 1985 NBA Finals release from Warner Bros. and NBA Entertainment. Do you think that any of the aforementioned releases are good deals?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Right from the start of the site, Gord and I emphatically agreed with each other that we would have to "draw a line somewhere" about what sorts of things we will and won't cover at the site. For starters, we stick with "Region 1 NTSC" releases (i.e., stuff that works in any DVD player sold off-the-shelf in North American....and yeah, we include "legit" Region 0 releases, for the most part).

We also agreed that "TV Shows" would be just that: an episodic television program. Something with multiple episodes, shown on a scheduled basis. No one-shot specials or telefilms (we make some few exceptions to that, when they tie in as a "reunion-type show" for what had been a regularly scheduled series, such as Escape from Gilligan's Island or a Captain and Tennille Christmas Special).

In the end, we decided that this rule HAD to apply to sports and news, because there is just too damn much sports and news on television for the two of us to wrap our heads around. Especially for sports, where there are so many different types, on different levels of non-pro, semi-pro and pro versions, with so many teams and individuals for each one. And frankly, Gord and I are into sports, but we could hardly be called sports nuts, and we don't know what's going on much outside of our small little world of the few things we're personal fans of. No, this sort of thing would be MUCH better suited to someone to go off and make their own "Sports on DVD" site...a genre we're happy to let someone else have!

And such a site is more likely to be affiliated with ESPN or Sports Illustrated than with TV Guide, don't you think?

At this point in time it is unlikely that we would "renegotiate" the categories of items we cover at TSoD. While we're always open to polite, well-reasoned notes presenting a point of view about ways to improve the site and cover more topics, the fact is that Gord and I are already slammed, and as MacroVision's purchase of Gemstar/TV Guide has resulted in the inevitable-with-any-merger scaling back of staff company-wide, it's doubtful that we get any more help for the site. Frankly, we're just hoping that our own contracts get renewed at the beginning of next year! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks