What's new

Do bookshelf speakers need to be "coupled" to the stand w/spikes? (1 Viewer)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I've noticed that some better HT setups that utilize bookshelf mains have spikes b/t the bottom of the speaker and the stand.

Why? I assume it's to keep the speaker from vibrating on the stand? Good speakers' cabinets should not vibrate at all.

I'll be using Axiom M22ti's as my mains.

Do I need to do this when I build my stands?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Speaker cabinets, no matter how solid, will resonate to some extent. My speakers are 38lbs each, VERY solid (Link Removed) and they still resonate I'm sure. You are trying to control the transfer of that resonance to the stand, while keeping firm contact. I would recommend blu-tack or similar, which will keep them in place as well, or some thin, firm foam.

Spikes will work, but I don't think they are worth the $$ at this price point, and the Axioms are not particularly heavy. The Axioms are about average in weight, but have very nicely designed cabinets that seem like they will control internal reflections and some resonance.

My stands actually came with spikes, but I don't use them. I found some blu-tack like stuff locally.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Hi John. :)

I saw your response in my other thread. Thanks. :)

Blutack...is that like Dynamat? Basically thick tar paper w/adhesive on one side?

I'm not sure I want to permanently adhere anything...not even air ;) to my new babies. Or do you mean to stick it to the stand and just sit the speakers on top of it?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Blutak is just the cheapo stuff you can get at any office supply store or hardware store. It's just blue sticky tak stuff. REALLY cheap, it's for like sticking papers up on walls and the like. It shouldn't leave any residue, you can just use a small pea-sized amount on each corner, and it works great. And it can REALLY stick to the stand if it's flat.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you are going to look at actual products beyond something like Blu-tack, then I'd suggest vibrapods. In the review, it says these are not only better than most other products tested, they are also the least expensive.

Blu-tack will pretty much stick to anything, and should not leave a resisue (that's not a guarantee). It works quite well, actually. I use it for my center channel.

I'm using 4 small squares of some very thin, industrial gasketing (fancy foam tape) that I got as a free sample from a local vendor, on my stands. We use a variant on our machines at work, which is where I got the idea. Works great.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A couple of squares of Dynamat might work also, in case you have some left over from the car. :D

If you've done anything with RC cars/planes/boats, you probably know what servo tape is. That works also.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
What's confusing me is that I'm reading two different things.

Some say the material serves to "isolate the speaker from the stand."

Others say the material serves to "couple the speaker to the stand."

Which one am I trying to acheive, as they are different! :confused:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They aren't that different. It's sort of both - spikes keep a solid connection, though they minimize the transmission of vibration. You are trying to keep it stable, but remove the resonance between the two, which could color the sound of the speaker. It's a small detail, so try a few of the simpler things out and see which one works for you.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thank you, John. I understand the objective now. Just needed someone to put it into English for me. :)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Hi John,

Got a pic of that? I definitely will be spiking my DIY stands bottom plate as my floors are carpeted.

Dunno about the top yet.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My stands:

High mass, fillable stands, www.partsexpress.com Part Number 240-744. Talk about solid, these babys weigh 26lbs each, without being filled. The top and bottom plates are solid cast. I actually can't use the spikes on the top, because they end up right at the edges of my speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks