What's new

Do all current HD players at least decode and output multi PCM via HDMI? (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hi guys,

Been breaking my head over which unit to buy for HD-DVD and which to get for BD.

Wanted the HD-A1 for it's 5.1 analog and the good deals available recently. However it has become quite scarce in Montreal, Canada. Hate to pay more for the HD-A2 and NOT get analog out.

However if I upgrade my receiver to the Elite VSX-84 it can apparently accept the multi channel PCM over HDMI if the player decodes it.

If I don't need analog out can I safely assume all HD-DVD and BD players at least decode HD audio and send it over HDMI?

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
No.

Toshiba HD DVD X/A1 players currently cannot decode the vaious DTS HD formats. There are no HD DVD titles with DTS HD yet. But with firmware 2.0 can decode the Dolby HD tracks.

The Panasonic BD10, Samsung BD-P1000, and Sony BDP-S1 player cannot decode any Dolby/DTS HD formats. The Panasonic mentions about a firmware upgrade that will enable it. The Samsung has no audio decoders at all so the HDMI and analog multich are useful for mainly PCM tracks. The Sony currently can only decode the "Core" lossy tracks, not the lossless tracks via HDMI, and analog Mch.

Playstation 3 can decode Dolby TrueHD and output via HDMI. Currenly has no analog Mch.

I think I got most of that right... any corrections are welcome.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Tony,

SO what happens if you have a Blu-Ray disc with no PCM and you don't connect HDMI? If you were using optical or the analog outs, what would you get?

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to ask.

Most BD movies have Dolby Digital or DTS at a higher bitrate than most DVD's. There's ony a small number of titles with Dolby HD. Most Fox titles with DTS HD. But DTS HD currently cannot be decoded so DTS core is used. PCM is uncompressed so it dont require decoding.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I think you answered my question Tony-thanks.

I just wanted to make sure I'd be getting better than DVD 5.1 audio even if I didnt' use HDMI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks