What's new

DLS 10" Subwoofer - Comments on performance? Think I can polyfill this sucker? (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
You can, just don't use too much. And make sure you don't put any in the slot or impede the slots air flow (the slot is a port). There may already even be some in there.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
I have one. When I measured it with a Stryke disc and RS SPL meter, I found that it makes noise down to about 25 hz and mesured a hump centered at 36 hz. Unfortunately, I have nothing to compare it to. I'd love to cmopare it to something that is supposed to be substantially better just to hear what the difference is.

aldamon

Second Unit
Hmmm, I wonder how it compares to the Sony SA-WM40? There is great value in the DIY sub market and since the DLS is an assembled DIY kit of sorts, I'd expect it to be on par with the mass-market Sony. Any more comments? Are there any more discussions out there that I should check out?

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Aldamon
You can polyfill anything! Rule of thumb for 100% stuffing is 1 lb of Acousta Stuff or polyfill, per 1 cubic ft of internal cabinet air space less driver and port. This is of course usually used to fool the driver into seeing a larger internal volume in SEALED subs than is really their. It can be used in a ported design also...
Your sub is *pre designed* and adding some fill may help or hinder it's performance. The amp may also have a small boost built into it. It's a slot loaded cabinet and that acts as the port.
Like Dustin mentioned if you do add fill start slow (small amount 1/2 lb or so) and make sure to keep it clear of the slot and driver!
The DLS is a small cabinet so it won't require much fill to change it's sound. If done right the tuning will be lowered 'slightly' but you may loose some output in the higher sub frequencys at the same time. The key is to experiment, and your miliage may vary. Play safe :D

Matthew Furtek

Stunt Coordinator
Aldamon,
What do you think about the sub?

Everyone here seems biased towards the Sony, but I don't know if anyone has been able to compare both.

Matthew Furtek

aldamon

Second Unit
Matthew, I like the DLS, but it is my first sub and I have nothing to compare it to. It was $99 + shipping and it rumbles nicely. It certainly more than makes up for the lack of bass in my JBL N24s and shakes the room when appropriate. For my first time out, I'm very pleased. It also has a smaller cabinet which helps in the WAF department.

Like you, I'd love to see this sub compared to the Sony and also the JBL PB10 / PB12 just for the hell of it. I can undestand how cost would prohibit a high-end subwoofer shootout, but surely, these low-cost subs could be tested together in some way. I wish I had the time to "buy and return" my own shootout, but that's not the case.

Your sub is *pre designed* and adding some fill may help or hinder it's performance.
It's the hinder part that scares me. I have neither the tools nor the ears to evaluate my efforts. I think I'll leave the cover on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks