What's new

DLP vs. LED (1 Viewer)

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Been getting the upgrade bug recently. I currently have a 52" DLP. I've had my eyes on a 60" LED (Sharp Aquos) but also have been kicking around the idea of sticking with DLP. I am doing research on each technology and was hoping members here would be kind enough to weigh in with their opinions.
So -- given the choice, which technology would you go with and why? Thanks for the input.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If I'm correct....(which at the beginning of the "year" I was, but "clearance time" is coming)...
You can buy the top 82" DLP(there are two versions) and it still costs less than the cheapest Sharp Aquos 60".
Once you hit 60"...
In sales...
1. Plasma
2. DLP(and there is only Mits)
3. LCD

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I prefer DLP. You get bigger screen for your money. You get a screen that doesn't reflect. The picture on a DLP looks more film-like, whereas the picture on plasmas, LCDs, and LEDs looks more like video. You may have to replace the bulb in a DLP every 3-4 years, but when you do, it looks like a new tv.. I don't want to hang my tv on the wall. Afterall, it's a tv, and not a picture.
Good luck with whatever you decide on.

K

Kevin Collins

Keep in mind that there are less manufacturer choices between flat panel and DLP. Mitsubishi is one of the last big names out there. If space (i.e. depth) is a critical factor than DLP is going to be more of an issue than flat panels. I also haven't seen a DLP that is wall mountable.

However, the previous posts are correct that DLP, particularly when going to large screen sizes is cheaper. In some cases it's hard to find a flat panel HDTV that comes close in size to some of the larger DLP RPTV's. For instance Mitsu's 92" DLP RPTV!

DLP also has other advantages, the biggest one is the viewing angle, particularly going up against LCD based flat panel displays.

Not all flat panel displays have a glossy coating so depending on the model of the flat panel, reflections might not be that big of an issue. However, the best viewing is in a light controlled environment and even a non-gloss surface still shows light.

In terms of performance, you need to make sure the DLP RPTV that you are looking at supports native 1080P, including support for 24FPS material. Some of the older one's only supported wobulation, which never provided true 1080P support and they didn't support 24FPS. Most name brand flat panel displays support 24FPS.

I saw the Mitsubishi at CEDIA last fall and it looked pretty nice. I have never been able to get Mitsubishi to supply us with a review unit so I could evaluate it with test patterns.

I have an older Toshiba DLP RPTV and it is great for a living room display. The problems with that DLP was that it used wobulation, didn't support 24FPS and didn't support dot by dot resolution.

The top end Mitsubishi, the http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/tv/WD-92842/specificationshttp://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=homethea02-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B007TGKLFM

The other 92" option is the http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZL2O9U/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=homethea02-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004ZL2O9Uhttp://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=homethea02-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B004ZL2O9U

Now trying to find one of these locally?! Good luck. In my area there is only one retailer that sells them and I don't know if they sell the units I am referencing above. On Amazon you get free shipping...

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Can't complain about my Samsung 67" DLP. Very sharp, nice picture. The newer sets do look nicer, but not $2000 nicer and I would totally consider a 73" Mitsu DLP f I needed a new TV . especially with the $799 price tag. 82" may be a bit big for my space

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
How does the 60, 120, 240 etc... come into it on the DLP, LED and LCD? I'm very picky about smooth running video. I returned a 60hz Samsung LCD and a 120hz Vizio LCD since neither worked correctly with a Panny BD HTiB. Jerky video. I believe the problem was probably the HTiB all along. But a Panny Plasma TV was the 3rd try and the charm. I know it's not an issue with Plasmas...
I'd also be interested in knowing if there is any differences in 3D performance across those technologies.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
First(and for the, what, fifth time just today???) there is no LED and LCD....
There is LCD with CCFL or LED backlight. Period.
LCD have a native refresh of 60hz. Artificial refreshing was created at 120, 240, 480 and "faster"(known as CMR rates with Samstung...by the way Samstung is the cause of this "LED confusion") Samstung spelled that way on purpose.
120hz is the refresh rate DLP needs for smooth motion. It doesn't need to get any quicker.
LCD needs "math" to create a clear picture...as LCD was never created to produce a moving picture. The issue is(and yeah, I only own LCD at sizes where there was no other choice) once you get beyond 120hz in LCD...it starts looking "fake". There is nothing you can do about it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I've had my Mits 73" for a tad over six years now.
While I love the size and there is a very good chance th next one will also be dlp,
my main issue is the number of times I had to replace the light engine.
Since I haven't done any research lately I'm not even sure that comes into play anymore.
After four years I was already on my third light engine so it was replaced twice.
Anyway I need big so next one will be 82" at least so for cost I might not be able to afford LED at that size.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Do these 73" and larger Mits. DLP's have wheels like their RPTV's used to? Or are they meant to be put on a stand?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Jim Mcc said:
Do these 73" and larger Mits. DLP's have wheels like their RPTV's used to? Or are they meant to be put on a stand?
dlp is a rear projection but I think you mean crt.
No wheels they go on a stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks