What's new

DLP vs Lcos vs LCD (1 Viewer)

Dan:L

Grip
Wow. I didn't expect to get so many replies.
Anyhoos, I don't want plasma because it's way too expensive for no reason besides saving space, and it also has the burn in problem. I also don't want crt because they don't get too big and they're heavy and bulky.

The room size is not too big. In fact, it's not big at all. I'll be seating about 8-9 feet away from the TV, and I would prefer a thinner, lightweight HDTV.

The dlp, I have been told, has the "rainbow" effect, and the LCD has the "screendoor" effect if you sit less than 10ft away from it. So any of you guys who have either of these sets, give me some rating on picture quality, etc.

Thanks

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i don't think this applies to everyone. i look at both of them all day and don't see either. i've even tried...hard...to find it. my only suggestion is that you go check for yourself.

as far as pic quality goes, again, you'll have to see for yourself. you should see a discernable difference between dlp & lcd when comparing them both to a rptv (or is that crt-based rptv? hell, now i'm confused). ;)

but, put a dlp & lcd side-by-side and i think the image quality is pretty darn close. i generally prefer dlp a little more, but not by much.

SolomonP

Grip
Small room? Have you considered front projection? Provided you have light control, you can get an excellent picture from a Screenplay 4805 (DLP, DVD res) or a Panasonic PT-AE500 (LCD, 720p). In a smaller room with a smaller screen (75" diagonal or so) these projectors will be VERY bright (SOMEWHAT negating the necessity for light control). Get a pull down screen, and you'll have a great picture, a big picture, and no big box dominating your room. Plus, you'll save a few bucks!

Take a look at http://www.projectorcentral.com/ for more info/ideas.

Porter

Grip

if he's sitting 8-9 feet away, will say ten because of the space your saving with projection compared to DLP. A picture as big as front projectors provide would very likely be to much.

but worth a look

Ph

Todd>B

Auditioning
I recommend the Sony KF50WE610. Great picture, very thin and only 80lbs. A little expensive but well worth the money. I have been very happy with mine, and would recommend it to anyone.

Dan:L

Grip
How far do the front projectors have to be to produce a big image? And if there's a lot of light in the room, like with the windows open in a sunny day, would the picture still be good?

Also, how would the picture be if it was projected on a wall?

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend the Sanyo Z2 with a 70 to 80 inch screen. At under $2000 it is one of the best projectors per dollar. The screen door effect is caused by being to close to a low resolution digital projector. The Z2 has a resolution of 720p and with a 10 foot viewing distance the screen door effect should not be visible. Considering your room layout in this thread I believe the Z2 would work well. Also is the shelf next to your TV attached to the wall and how high is it?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I think given your parameters, you will need to go with RP DLP or LCD for sure. I just was informed about some direct view LCD in the 57" size, but I'll bet those are just about as much as plasma. Heck, your generally not talking that much less for DLP or LCD anyways, so I have to ask what your real budget is?

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Nah, it's nitpicking, really. In terms of anything affordable and readily-available, 34" is as attaintably big as a widescreen direct-view CRT gets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks