What's new

DLP vs. LCD - The Discussion Thread that Combines Them ALL (1 Viewer)

PhilS

Stunt Coordinator
The one thing that I have NOT done is say the CRT's are not the best choice. I have not said ANY technology is the best, or the worst. They all have advantages and disadvantages. Several of us have pointed this out in an attempt to be helpful -- in response to a post that asked about LCD and DLP technology (not CRT's).
It is only the CRT owners who have said on this thread that CRT is the best, and it is THEY that have disparaged the other technologies, in more than one post. I note that this is a fairly common occurrence on this and other forums, i.e., for some reason CRT owners frequently seem intent on establishing how great CRT's are, and how other projectors just don't measure up. I suggest that anyone who says CRT is "the best" or something to that effect is making a value judgment, one that should be taken with some skepticism by those who are trying to decide what is best FOR THEM. Indeed, one who insists that the technology they own is the best (as opposed to being preferred by them because of their ideosyncracies) seems more interested in defending what they purchased than in truly helping others.
Therefore, in my last attempt to be helpful, I would submit the following: Everyone who owns a CRT and has posted to this thread made the best choice for them. Your projectors are truly awesome and we are all envious. Furthermore, given your preferences, it would have indeed been foolish for you to have purchased a digital projector.
On the other hand, those of you who have not yet purchased a projector should read the posts on this forum, on AVS Forum, and on the Big Picture Forum, to learn about the trade-offs, and then check out the various technologies in person. Don't believe anyone who tells you that this type of projector or that type of projector is best. That's like saying a certain car is best. You must decide what is best for YOU. If you end up with a CRT great. I am sure you will love it. If you end up with a digital projector, you know what? You'll love that too.
[Edited last by PhilS on August 12, 2001 at 08:16 PM]

CoryT

Auditioning
OK here is the delema, I need a projector for my home theater. My screen is 92" HDTV format. I have heard many things about both DLP and LCD projectors. The Rainbow effect for the DLP and the Screen door effect for the LCD. Which one is better. I'm in the process of building my home theater right now, I'm still in the construction phases and am trying to get my equiptment taken care of. My room is 13.8 x 28 with windows down one of the walls.
I need this situation solved before Oct.
Thanks for the help

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Cory,
I'm moving this post to the TV and Projector area. I think you'll get more answers there.
------------------
Philip Hamm
Pat's the best!™
AIM: PhilBiker
click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
You need to give us your price range in order to have a better idea. Also, regarding rainbows and screendoor there is no clear answer as some people would be bother by one and not the other and vice versa so its a thing you need to see for yourself. I check the famous LT150 (DLP) and was bother by the rainbow and didn't like the colors to much then I check the old sony W400Q and was in loved. First it has 16:9 native panels and I really wanted that, then there is no screendoor to be seen (unless you sit like 3 feet from a 8' wide screen). It may seem like old technology but it was really a digital projector ahead of its time. Now, I am not saying that it is right for you (not easy to find either) but this is an example of how someone's prefered technology is not perfect for everyone. It might be better if you pick one technology after demoing and then within your choice people can help you with different brands and models.
Regards

Jon_Mx

Agent
It all depends on your price range. At under $2500, the NEC LT150 (DLP, XGA, 800 lumens) is the king. At under $5000, I would get the Sanyo PLV-60 (LCD, SXGA, 1200 lumens). At under $8000, I would get the Sharp Z9000 (DLP, SXGA, 800 lumens). At $10,000, then I would get a DILA.

PhilS

Stunt Coordinator
Cory, the importance of seeing the projector you are considering in person cannot be overemphasized. As Luis said, some people are quite senstive to the DLP rainbows. I am, and it makes the DLP virtually unwatchable for me. I am also bothered by the screen door, but if I had to choose, I'd go with an LCD, as there are things you can do to minimize screen door. On the other hand, if you are not too sensitive to rainbows, you might consider the newer DLP's with 6-element color wheels. They are supposed to reduce the rainbow artifact dramatically, while not eliminating it entirely. But you won't know what is important to you until you spend a few hours or more viewing the projector you're considering. You might consider trying to purchase from somewhere you will give you a trial period. There are dealers who will do this. BTW, I went through three projectors before I was finally satisfied.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Nobody has mentioned CRT yet, so I thought I should. However, you had better be able to totally black out those windows you mention or else you can just forget CRT based on that alone.
But, you will get a picture that will beat both LCD and DLP on everything except brightness.
Other drawbacks are no zoom lens so you have to place it at the exactly proper distance from the screen, and of course the fact that CRTs weigh enormous amounts and are quite huge by comparison with LCDs and DLPs.
Oh, and if you really want to get to talking projectors I'd like to suggest http://www.avsforum.com
------------------
/Kimmo

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
I agree, AVS is the place for FP talk.
PS What is it that I always have to type my name and password...is there something I have to do so it remembers me?

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Jon_Mx wrote:
At under $5000, I would get the Sanyo PLV-60 (LCD, SXGA, 1200 lumens).
Do you consider this to be a better projector than the SONY VPLVW10HT? I am intending to buy a front projection system, but I think I may have to wait for a projector with similar specs to the VPLVW10HT to drop to the 2500-3000 dollar level. Hopefully in the next few years front projection system will become much more popular.
Aaron

Jon_Mx

Agent
The PLV-60 is better than the 10HT. Now the 11HT is another story. The 11HT didn't have a particularly good showing at CEDIA, mostly Sony's fault though for not properly setting up their projector and not using the best screen. I have heard some very good reports on the 11HT since, saying it compares very well with the Sharp Z9000.
Now the 10HT is a very good and hugely popular projector, but it just doesn't have the colors and contrasts of the newer models. However, there is a huge user base for the 10HT, and many user groups that provide tips and tricks to get the very best performance out of the 10HT. If you can pick one of these up for aboout $2500 and you plan on using it quite a bit, it is an excellent buy.

CoryT

Auditioning
Thanks for all of the replies. My price rage is under 5000, I have been looking at the Infocus LP340b, I can pick one up for right around 3200 but I want to make sure I will enjoy it. I plan to test it out when I get my house closer to being done.
I will continue to search around and find a projector that will work for me.
Thanks,

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Well, in my opinion, the 10HT is pretty much the starting point now if you want to look at fairly inexpensive machines. True 16:9 LCD panels (big plus!), lots of light output and the screendoor effect to me anyway is minimal. You'd have to see it yourself to see if it bothers you.
The problem it does have though is displaying black, but it has that in common with any LCD projector. If you can find one of these for a good price I would definitely give it very serious thought before going with the Infocus. I don't know the Infocus well, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the 16:9 panels you really want today. The 10HT is also one of the quietest projectors with a fan you can find.
The Sanyo PLV-60 is also an excellent choice, it is available below $5000 now. That is probably a better deal than getting an 11HT now while those are new and thus expensive.
Personally I think you should get either a projector with true 16:9 panels or go with a CRT. For $5000 you can most likely get a very nice used CRT machine that will blow any LCD or DLP out of the water when it comes to picture in any category except brightness. CRTs are a bit more of a hassle than digital projectors though, so if you just want plug and play... probably not the choice to go with.
------------------
/Kimmo

Brett Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
CoryT--Just noticed you are from Canada eh'....Is that price range you have $5,000US or Canadian?....It makes a BIG difference. I am also looking for projectors between 4-5,000US right now I have found the Sony 10 HT (LCD) to be the best but I have only reveiwed a few in local HT shops. very interested in giving the Sanyo a look though.
p.s. My US dollar is worth $1.54CAN right now in Windsor!!!! :)
------------------

CoryT

Auditioning
Brett,
Ya I'm talking about Canadian Dollars so my budget is a bit smaller than yours. I can get an infocus LP340b for 3300, I've heard some good reviews on it, I'm going to call Infocus to see if I can bring it in for a test run. Most of the reviews I have read say it is a good starting projector. best bang for the buck. We shall see.
I'm going to get pricing on the Sony tomorrow so we will see where that leaves me.
Thanks

I'd go over to the AVS forum and do a search on the 340b. I remember reading there somewhere (and in several posts) where people specifically stated to get the 340, but STAY AWAY from the 340B. Can't remember why, but I thought I'd give you a heads up to check it out. Maybe someone on this forum can tell you why the 340 is much preferred over the 340B. I just remember seeing the posts. Hope this helps. Good luck in your search.
mike
------------------
Consuming air and other valuable resources since 1953.

CoryT

Auditioning
Micheal,
Thanks for the link, I will have to contiue my hunt for a projector that works well. I'm going get pricing on the Sony and the NEC, I hear they aren't too bad. I if you have any other models in mind please let me know. If I come across and nice pricing on other projectors I will let everybody know.
Thanks,

Jon Brown

Auditioning
Ok Guys,
Someone tell me about this Rainbow/ Door thing. I saw both the Sony VPH10HT and the newer Yamaha(I think) DLP this past Sunday, and haven't a clue as to these effects that you guys are talking about. Personally, I liked the Sony Better. Both were projecting onto 110" 16 X 9 Screens. Sony was playing Lost in Space and the DLP was Playing Jurassic PArk II. I am building a theater room approx 18' X 20'. I need to get some input on which prewire to run and to where.
Thanks
Jon

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Screendoor effect is where you can see the pixel pattern of the LCD panel. On the Sony from far enough away it bothers me not at all.
Rainbow effect is a DLP thing and can occur if you move your eyes quickly from side to side of the screen. This is caused by the rotating color wheel inside the machine, the newer machines have faster wheels and thus this problem is much reduced.
------------------
/Kimmo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks