What's new

DLP: Still a great option if you have the room for a "Big Butt" TV. (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Originally Posted by davidJames ">[/url]

... Needless to say I purchased the 65" behemoth and have been in home theater heaven ever since.
The Panasonic is still doing a great job ( an excellent TV) but in our bedroom! Our living room is once again a "Home Theater" just the way we like it.

Moral of story, big is better, at least when home theater is involved. As an added bonus the Mitsu wasn't that much more in price than our Pany plasma.
[/QUOTE]Agreed! I own a large number of HD displays in my home (7) ranging in size from 15" in the kitchen to 110" in the HT and I have to agree that "bigger is better." While 110" (my JVC RS-1 3 chip LCoS 1080p FP projected onto a Stewart Studiotek 130 16:9 screen) might not be possible in many homes or apartments, one can usually "squeeze in" a 65" monitor into all but the smallest apartments if one has the passion and the space. Of all my displays only the 65" and the 110" give me the full "theatrical" experience. Of course part of that comes from the fact that both those monitors reside in my HT (screen comes down in front of the RPM) and benefit from my excellent full 7.1 sound system and good sound enhances the overall effect. Another display (a 37" plasma) has a 5.1 sound system associated with it and while it's good, it's not HT to me in the full sense.

The day will come when 65" (and up) flat panel 1080p sets drop low enough in price to make them accessible to those with limited discretionary mad money but for now the "Big Butt" DLPs are a nice entry into the Big Picture HT experience. I think that's one of the main reasons why Mitsubishi decided to remain in the DLP RPM market for now - and why their new line offers sets [i]starting[/i] at 65" and going all the way up to 82" (not counting the 108 [i][b]foot [/b][/i]Mitsubishi DiamondVision screen at the new Yankee Stadium).

chuckg

Supporting Actor
65 to 82 inches? Wow, now I'm bummed. When I bought my set it was "second from the largest" and now it's the smallest...boo hoo waaaaah. Just joshin' -- I love the size, perfect for my room. The largest set would have pushed the front speakers too far apart for a good sound stage.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
All the RBE talk and warnings of headaches turned me off of DLP, but 2 1/2 years ago, the price per inch was just too good to pass up. So I bought one of the new (at the time) Samsung 1080p 61" DLP sets, moving up from a 53" Pioneer CRT set that bit the dust. Now, I loved that Pioneer. But the Sammy blew it away, and the fact that I could pause the picture and walk away without worrying about burn-in was gold. Plus, it was a lot more PC friendly, and I no longer had to use Powerstrip to get a 720 X 480 resolution -- this sucker did 1920 X 1080 out of the box!

I recently changed the bulb in my set (it may sound a little early for 2 1/2 years, but it's the only set in the house and it is constantly on -- I once did a calculation by hours, and it appeared that the bulb would only last me 1 1/2 years). The difference in PQ was startling -- I had never noticed how dim the picture had gotten because it still seemed bright -- now the picture is almost blindingly bright. BTW, the bulbs alone go for ~ $100 if you're willing to screw apart the housing and reattach a couple of wires (which was really simple).

So basically... I love my DLP. I'm hoping that when I get the itch and have the scratch, the OLED sets will bring down the Mitsu laser sets. Because I want one of those.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes Hanson, the "Rainbow Effect" (RBE) was brought to panic attack levels by some who complained loudly on some of the "other" forums. These self-proclaimed experts claimed that many people would suffer ill effects when, in fact, the number of people who were truly bothered by such things was a very small number. I'm not disputing the fact that certain individuals actually do have a problem with DLP (although that was mostly with the older DLP technology before faster wheels, different scan rates and now "wheel-less" DLP and LED have been introduced) and I fully respect their wanting to avoid DLP for the rainbows that they actually do see. But many people who were downgrading DLP because of the RBE were talking without ever actually having observed it, or only when they rotated their head quickly and continuously while watching TV (truly a normal situation, right?) or some other equally esoteric behavior. Unfortunately, others believed this stuff (sort of a negative Hawthorne Effect) and DLP became a non-option for them. My personal term for this is "AVS-itis" (just joking, sort of.)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, it's too bad Samsung dropped out.

I too picked up one of their last 61" LED DLP RPTVs this past winter -- and retired our ~7-yo Panny 53" CRT RPTV. Only paid $1300 shipped from Crutchfield -- and they even had a $200(?) NFLShop.com credit rebate deal for it at the time too though I never got around to cashing in on that.

And yeah, I too have been collecting BDs at a pretty fast clip -- definitely much faster than I originally anticipated. According to my DVD Profiler's title count, I'm fast approaching 300 BDs now although some titles don't really make full use of 1080p res.

_Man_

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'm always amazed by how low the DLP prices are for the size when I'm in the local shops. In this week's add, 6th Ave has a 120Hz Mitsubishi 60" (WD60C9) with a very decent-looking stand for under $1,000. That's nuts. I've been wanting to upgrade the ancient 46" RPTV in the living room with a wall-hung LCD if just to get it out of reach of my daughter (I rarely bother to clean the washable crayon off anymore, so I even see rainbows with CRT) but these are so tempting.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's why I like my LCoS TV so much... Every couple years I change the bulb and it's like getting a new TV!!!

I have no need for a new TV right now, but maybe with luck the old Hitchi RP will die and I will have a good excuse. I'm thinking 80+ inches.

hellnation

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Sorry, I could not resist replying / bumping this old thread.

I'm relatively new to the LCD / PLASMA / DLP technology, I haven't watched much TV in the last 10 years and pretty much my computer has been my TV. (yeah I know!)

I just got out of my cave and there's some HD content I wanna watch out there and I'm looking at getting a decent setup.

I read a bit on LCD / PLASMA and then I heard about DLP. At first I thought they stop making them because they were no good, but then I looked at the technology and the feedback of users like above and really, this is what I want!

I live in Quebec, Canada. I started to look for a set but soon found out no one were selling them anymore. I'd buy a Mitsubishi set, but it is not available in Canada!

So I started looking at used DLPs, but the older generations had all sort of issues, so I got to be careful.

I wouldn't mind buying an older set, granted it uses the best/last manufactured DLP technology. (ie, LED bulb)

Do you guys know which models I should look for?

Or it is just TOO LATE to get in?

It is amazing you can get a 65+ set for this cheap, still.

Of course, I don't want to end up in trouble, with an old set that breaks with no support and no parts available etc.

Advise needed, thanks!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_147350/Big-screen-Projection-TVs.html?tp=162

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_link_18311901_7?ie=UTF8&node=724230011%2C979929011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=gp-left-2&pf_rd_r=0W6EJM8EM89A0Q2CD1D7&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=466640531&pf_rd_i=1065836

I'm not sure if Crutchfield.com ships to Canada or not.
I've heard that Amazon.com does not. But, if you know someone across the border in the US, ship it there and go get it, when it comes. Cheaper that way anyhow.
Good luck!

hellnation

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Yeah - I've looked at either order a Mitsubishi from the US or maybe drive down there and get one, however support migth be an issue, I'm not even sure Mitsubishi will honor their warranty if I bring this back to Canada. It sounds like if anything goes wrong, I'll be on my own.

I'll look at this still, from what I gathered, Samsung made some LED DLPs in 2008, not sure if any other vendor were still making DLPs available in Canada in 2008-2009.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks