What's new

DL2 Released (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Let us know what you think! I gave DL1 a look when I first got my Mac. It was neat, but the barcode scanning performed poorly* and my wife prefered her having media catalogued on her PDA, so I didn't buy it.

(*it was very difficult to scan using my MBP's built-in camera with just the normal office lighting. And several TV series don't have barcodes.)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly the barcode scanning was improved for DL2. I still use DVDPedia/CDPedia/BookPedia with an unmodified :cue:cat -- works like a charm. I will remain forever in Radio Shack's debt -- the most useful device I ever got from them was totally free.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm sure the scanning is not on par with an external scanner, but it is not bad. I had no success using the iSight for scanning with DVDPedia. DL on the other hand works pretty well. I scanned nearlt all of my DVDs and some of my music and books. It was only occasionally that I had to enter things manually. Now the bad news...after staying up way too late scanning and spending a couple of hours today my MacBook froze up. DL says that the database is corrupt and there is nothing on my shelf. :frowning: I'm hopeful that there is a work around. If not, my head might explode.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I always found the original Delicious Library to be slow.

I eventually migrated over to DVDPedia and love it!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I downloaded, tried, and deleted Delicious Library within ten minutes. As with DL1, I find it unusable. Scanning barcodes in my office on my MBP is clunky, taking 15 to 30 seconds to find a capture an item.

Worse, it didn't recognize my paperback copy of Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone. I had to manually add it, and then it still didn't quite know it, and failed to add the artwork.

A media cataloguing tool that doesn't know the bestselling book of the past ten years has no place on my computer.

I gave BookPedia a quick try: unfortunately, its scanner is worse than DL2's and also can't find Harry Potter. This is an application that needs to be bullet proof for me to use. I don't care enough to fight with it the way I will with applications I "need". :) Likewise, I don't find enough value to justify buying a dedicated scanner ($215!) to make that process go as it should.

Maybe DL3 will be idiot-proof :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks