What's new

DIY Sub - Placement & Application Questions (1 Viewer)

Hi.

I'm nearing the end of my little home theatre construction project downstairs, and it's time to consider the subwoofer.

The sub will be concealed behind a false wall that also contains the other speakers. The area between the false wall and the basement wall is about 40" deep.

I'll be building my own sub, as only one that I design will be able to fit back there. There is a 15" x 15" hole that will allow the driver to fire into the room.

So far I've been looking at sealed systems only (e.g., a Madisound NHT 1259 kit). Due to the confined space that the sub will be in, am I indeed limited to sealed systems? What kind of impact would a ported system have behind a false wall? The sonosub sounds interesting, but I think I may have already excluded that possibility due to my wall design.

You can take a look at the wall here - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...t=1&thecat=500

The sub opening is on the farthest left-hand side, next to the taller, rectangular looking opening.

Thanks,
Kris

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you kept a ported sub behind the wall, you would not gain the benefit of the port producing some SPLs near the tuning frequency of the subwoofer enclosure. So, you're probably better off going sealed, and letting room gain help out in the bottom end.

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
>I'm nearing the end of my little home theatre construction project downstairs, and it's time to consider the subwoofer.
====
Lookin' good!
====
>The sub will be concealed behind a false wall that also contains the other speakers. The area between the false wall and the basement wall is about 40" deep.
====
But what is its net volume, and is there any vent openings back into the room?
====
>So far I've been looking at sealed systems only (e.g., a Madisound NHT 1259 kit). Due to the confined space that the sub will be in, am I indeed limited to sealed systems?
====
No.
====
> What kind of impact would a ported system have behind a false wall?
====
I assume it's what you're implying here that PS was addressing, the vent would need to have its exit into the room along with the driver's, so if you have a 15" driver and a 15" cutout, you're (possibly) stuck with sealed.
====
> The sonosub sounds interesting, but I think I may have already excluded that possibility due to my wall design.
====
Correct.
====
>One more thing - is there any problems putting an electrical device (e.g., the sub amp) between the false and real walls?
====
It will depend on the net volume and whether or not there's other heat generating devices back there, but at a glance it shouldn't be a problem. How would you access it?

BTW, how do you plan to address all the cavity resonances that speaker false wall designs have?

GM

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
seal the false wall to the room and just use the back area as the encloser. it might even be considered a ib setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks