Diy Screen

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Billy Posey, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

I am looking to build a new diy screen for my home theater. Currently I am using a 8' by 4' piece of mdf mounted on the wall ( a pain to hang on the wall." The problem that I am having is that I can't quite get the image from my 4800 to keystone correctly. I can get it close but I always see a slight trapezoidal shape to the edge of the image. Luckily it mostly affects the portion that is slightly past the edge of the image which it just what I call over flow of light, not sure what it's actually called. Anyhow after inspection I have come to the conclusion that the mdf is slight curved. which means the wall that its mounted on is not square. right in in front of the wall of the screen (and below the screen) is a stage or proscenium ,if you will, where I house the subwoofers and sit the lcr speakers. I figure I can the screen a little and build a better Diy. I don't want to use mdf again it's too damn heavy. However, while building a outdoor screen using Black out cloth, I have dissevered issues with the framing. The issue being it's a freaking pain to find wood that is not warped. Now I am not sure of what to do out side of buying a real screen. For those that have built a screen frame where in the hell do you find wood that's not warped. I have thought of using drywall but I don't have a safe means of transporting it. I only have a minivan. I thought I had solution, a blank slate inside door that I saw at menards and lowes. It's light weight, and not warped. The problem however the largest dimension that I have seen is 80" inches long and 36" inches height. Which is not ok for 16:9 aspect ration, maybe something a little wider. Hopefully I can get some ideas from you guys. (sorry for any misspelled words the spell check isn't working at this moment.)

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I found my wood at Lowes. It took a little while to sort through them but found everything I needed. Some people have used frames from art supply houses like Dick Blick. Kiln dried wood with mitered corners. It's not cheap but less than most commercial screens.

my frame
    close up of the border - made out of door casing painted black. It's tacked to the frame with ten brad names. That way I can pull it off and experiment with painted black out cloth.

-Robert

3. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

Don't waste your time trying to find straight wood in the big box home improvement stores. Even if you find a straight piece, as soon as you take it home the humidity will be different, and it will warp.

Go the the hardware aisles in the same stores, and buy some aluminum angle, or square tube. You can find screws that will drill their own hole, and a battery drill with screwdriver head to put them in with. Use some flat bits of aluminum laid across the corners to join the pieces, and add a stiffener or two somewhere in the middle of the whole thing.

An aluminum frame will always be straight, and weigh much less.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I used formica. You can always paint the wall directly and then frame around the image something like this...
    [​IMG]