DIY Screen "Screen Goo"

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gerald LaFrance, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    Hi I was looking around for screens and the prices are a lil bit more than I would like to pay, I found this DIY Screen and it is half the price, I would pay for a real screen.

Has anybody known or used this screen themselves, or could I just use some kind of paint to make the screnn on the wall it will be a 100" screen THNX[​IMG]

2. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I just project directly on my wall, painted a nice light grey satin from Home Depot. The picture looks great.

3. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

Gerald

I have used Goo in three theaters and it is great. It has a much better reflectivity that standard paint can't match. They also have a tool on the site that will help you select the best paint for your projector and enviroment. I highly recommend this product.

4. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    Doug

I just used the Tool calculator and the screen will only cost me $270 wow!!, now that is a more realistic price.

[​IMG]

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Will these goo guys send out samples for testing. $270 for paint seems extremely high. I use a custom mix gray from Lowes and I be interested in trying goo but not for a couple hundred bucks.

6. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

Ron

They have some local distributors, you can check on the site and see if one is near you. I am sure they have displays set up.

I tried a number of home brewed paints and they just didn't pop the way Goo does especially when it comes to HD.

7. Chet Wilson

Chet Wilson Stunt Coordinator

Gerald, go to a fabric store and buy some drapery backing, stretch it in a simple frame, buy a quart of Behr Silverscreen(flat), paint with a short nap roller, hang and off you go. $40-$50.

8. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Spend some time reading up on this subject on the avs forum, their is quite a lot of DIY'ers with screen paints. A lot of folks go to Home Depot and buy Behr "Silverscreen" and it works fine. Much cheaper than goo...[​IMG]
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...s=&forumid=110

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I tried that Silverscreen, and yes it does work fine, but I preferred my current Lowes Valspar Plank gray to it.

I'm going to order up the Goo and give it a try. Looks like it will only run me a bit over $100.

10. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

I just spent the last 3 hours reading DIY screen posts and I have come to the conclusion that its 50% trial and error 10% science and 40% voodoo and I think I might be over estimating the amount of science. There is a conflicting argument to every post on avs.