What's new

diy power cable (1 Viewer)

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
I wont to by cable by the ft not the 1000 ft.and good source for plugs and things.And yes bin to parts ex.no belden cable THANKS

Brian Knauss

Stunt Coordinator
Why do you need Belden cables specifically? As long as you have the same plugs at either end, you won't notice a difference other than your lighter wallet.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Belden cable is not too expensive (cheaper than Canare in many cases), and the quality is great. Several distributors will sell less than large spools. My favorite distributor (nice, knowledgable and sells to the pro broadcast industry) is Joseph Electronics:
http://www.josephelectronics.com/

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
Tanks to all
No it dos not have to be belden. But I do want 12g-3 shielded and Teflon would be nice.
How do you know it will sound the same??? Have you tried some different combos or are we just guessing?
Still looking for new stores to shop.

Tanks to all

Brian Knauss

Stunt Coordinator
As long as you're using decent cable, I have never heard or seen results from a good scientific process showing that using all high end parts will yield a better sound. I steer clear of the whole "upgrade" thing since there is such a decent amount of distortion added to the signal while its traveling through those very long lengths of transmission lines. I figure 6 feet of high quality cable isn't going to make up for the junk introduced into the signal before it.

But this is my opinion. If you are happier with replacing cables, then by all means do it. You are the one that is ultimately going to decide how they sound, so my opinion has about nothing to do with anything. And I'm not against the whole DIY power cable thing either. I'll be building a power cable this summer when I build my 6 channel amp.

Again, this is just my 2 cents.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Brian is right.

As long as you're not experiencing problems, there will be no audible difference in power cables. The power goes through miles and miles of standard copper wire with PVC insulation (or whatever). The section in your house from the breaker to the wall socket is probably 14ga. The last few feet isn't going to make any difference...

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
also if you do decid to pick up a nicer cable, don't have it connect to the back of your reciver with that plug. solder the connections directly to the receiver to get the best connections

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
Hi thanks for your input. Brian cool name. Good scientific
info well tell you your speakers are to big for your room and you listen to your music to loud!:frowning: We should all get smaller speakers and lour the volume.:D NOT!!!
Dave silly boy no 14g only 12g shielded from mane box to room X2 thats right 2 20amp dedicated lines ea with surgeX protection. :D
Allen are you kidding? Mite have to consider such a move can not fined 20 amp iec connector. Should I use solder with a high silver content??;) Donut know if it will get to that.
TANKS to all
PS you should all read the specs. on you amp, you my be surprised. I found that my amp can draw 17.5 amps I know thats flat out most likely will not see that but it came with a 14g power cord:frowning: ALL I wont is sum descent cable I am not freezing anything. Thanks to all Brian:D

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
Hay cool mug. But it will cost more then my diy cable. OK just as much. You don't seem to realize I am not going to spend $500.00 or $1500.00 on a cable I just wont to by 4FT of cable $2.50 or 4.50 ft YYYYYYYYYYYYYY the argument????

David Gadd

Auditioning
Brian tj: No offense intended, here. You absolutely NEED a good power cable; the only question is what is a "good cable." I've got a couple power cables I'm considering replacing (although I can't quite convince myself that I'm not just into building audio jewelry). I don't think quality cable and quality connectors are unreasonable.

I was worried that you'd take it the wrong way but I couldn't resist that link. ;) Maybe I should have saved it for something truly deserving. Work with me here, but, maybe I was only trying to be helpful. Any "Magical Mug" with frozen water crystals from "water that is alive and that is affected by words, pictures and our intentions" would have to be affected by music. And "[g]iven that our bodies are primarily made up of water, the implications ... are profound." A music-loving, alive-water-containing, beverage mug could only improve my (or anyone's) appreciation of music or HT.

At lunch today, just thinking of a crisp, cold Diet Pepsi in a "Magic Mug" caused fuller and richer bass and an expanded sound-field when I listened to Linkin Park (or however you spell their annoyingly, intentionally misspelled name). Maybe the "love and gratitude" others have found from the Magic Mug will only come with more holistic music choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks