DIY Mobile DJ speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Colin Runner, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Colin Runner

Colin Runner Agent

Ok, as a teenager looking to make some cool cash in a mid-sized town I'm looking into becoming a freelance DJ for random events (like school dances and socials). Having been to my fair share of college/high-school parties, I realize that bass is what keeps the party interesting. As much as I hate it, you really don't care if you can't hear what the heck people are saying in songs when they are cranked really loud.

The DJs around town are basically your top-50 hits crap with rap and pop going 90% of the time. I think that I could be someone who plays reasonably different songs (electronic, alternative, some rap and underground music that doesn't usually make it this far into the Midwest). I also can easily and effectively remix songs to have a much stronger [thump-thump-thump] kick, so good songs can be danced/grinded to. [​IMG]

Anyway, I'm looking at building my own system to be different, and offer a better sound for less. I have access to some nice performing, high SPL 18" drivers that I could use for the bass. I'm thinking some parts-express midrange drivers, and a tweeter of some sort. I'm in the early planning stage and haven't bought anything yet, so feel free to recommend something. For amps, probably a Barrenger (sp?) 2500 to drive the mains. I'm a newbie at x-overs, so some help there as well. I'm good with woodworking, so construction won't be an issue.

Again, if I can pull this off I can get some reasonable cash (due to the current monopoly of DJ services in my town) and have fun doing it. I'm not really looking to do weddings or really formal things, but more college town jams. Links are helpful too! [​IMG]

CR