What's new

DIY Interconnect help (1 Viewer)

Tom Fl

Grip
I am new to home theater DIY but I am planning on building some interconnects (mainly audio for cd-players, DVD-A, etc.). I will use Jon Risch's basic design with Belden 89259. Additionally, I want to use Canere RCAP-C4A connectors because I like their crimp design. First, what are your opinion's on Risch's design using 89259, should I consider any of his twisted pair designs. I chose the single 89259 design due to its simplicity of construction. Also, does anyone have any experience with this combination of cable and terminations, according to Canere, the C4A will work with Belden RG59. Lastly, I have never used heat shrink or techflex before but I want to "dress" my cables up. What size is appropriate?

Thanks in advance for your help.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
The Canare connectors are great and easy to work with, but I chose the Gepco VSD 2001 over Belden due to it's better performance specs.

MarcS

Stunt Coordinator
Depending on the quantity and length of cables you plan on making (and don't you need a special crimp tool for Canare connectors?), you might consider buying them instead.

I recently bought some stuff from Blue Jeans Cable, and others have mentioned Rhino I believe. Blue Jeans seemed to have a decent price, they shipped the same day, and I had my cable a couple of days later--excellent service...

From memory (check their sites to make sure), I believe they basically use the Jon Risch recommended Belden cables and construction methods...

Just a thought...

Tom Fl

Grip
Thanks for the info Mark, I am familiar with Blue Jeans and others. I want to achieve 2 things from making my own cable, ability to make custom lengths. I have several uses for very short cables and odd lengths. Second, I want the satisfaction of making my own cables. Hopefully, I will save a little money in the process but if I don't, that is ok. Based on what I have read I am now thinking about JR's 89259/89248 cable design, but I don't think the canare rca's will work with it.

ChristopherW

Agent
Tom if you go with the JR twisted pair I'd be very interested in pics of your construction process, if you have the ability to post pics. I also am interested in making my own cables. I want to make the twisted pairs, but I am not quite sure of the constuction process. Best of luck. Keep us updated.

Chris

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Techflex comes in various sizes for a range of diameters. When you purchase it (at least on part's express) the range for each type of techflex is given. Find out the diameter of the Belden cable and purchase appropriately. The heat shrink is the same way. It has a shrink factor... make sure that it is large enough to fit over the cable AND the connector but small enough that it will shrink to fit. I find that the 3:1 shrink factor tubing works great for this purpose.

To cut the techflex use a hotknife or heat a thin wire between two nails. Using a blade results in a sloppy cut which frays easily.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
To cut techflex use scisors and then take a lighter and
melt the end's of the nylon at the cut. It won't fray and
it will be a nice straight cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks