What's new

DIY crossover for subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Dave_Gib

Stunt Coordinator
I need an amp for my HT subwoofers, 4 12" Dayton DVC's in an IB, I was looking at the QSC amps at parts express, the 1400 watt one(I know the Dayton's won't handle 1400 in an IB)

but I don't think it has a crossover, it looks like it comes with a subsonic filter, but no variable xover

so I need a way to cross them over, a variable crossover would be a big plus,

preferably a way that doesn't involve a car battery and one of my old caraudio componets

htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Dave_Gib

Stunt Coordinator
I need an amp for my HT subwoofers, 4 12" Dayton DVC's in an IB, I was looking at the QSC amps at parts express, the 1400 watt one(I know the Dayton's won't handle 1400 in an IB)

but I don't think it has a crossover, it looks like it comes with a subsonic filter, but no variable xover

so I need a way to cross them over, a variable crossover would be a big plus,

preferably a way that doesn't involve a car battery and one of my old caraudio componets

htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Dave,

The easiest way is to buy a small outboard crossover from Marchand or Paradigm. If you want you can build up some active filters... the simplest thing is to buy John Pomann's kit which costs $75 I think, and has a bunch of parts for making an active crossover. And then if you want to do it completely custom from scratch, which can be done cheaply, just let me know. :)

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Dave,

The easiest way is to buy a small outboard crossover from Marchand or Paradigm. If you want you can build up some active filters... the simplest thing is to buy John Pomann's kit which costs $75 I think, and has a bunch of parts for making an active crossover. And then if you want to do it completely custom from scratch, which can be done cheaply, just let me know. :)

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
If all you need is a single channel... you can get a 12 volt (18 might be better) wall transformer... a regulator, an op amp, and some resistors and capacitors soldered to a breadboard to get the lowpass filtering you need. I could even send you some of those parts if I have what you want, because they're so cheap. Considering the quality of your subwoofer though, don't you think it would be nice to get a quality adjustable stereo crossover to correctly integrate it with the rest of your speakers?

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
If all you need is a single channel... you can get a 12 volt (18 might be better) wall transformer... a regulator, an op amp, and some resistors and capacitors soldered to a breadboard to get the lowpass filtering you need. I could even send you some of those parts if I have what you want, because they're so cheap. Considering the quality of your subwoofer though, don't you think it would be nice to get a quality adjustable stereo crossover to correctly integrate it with the rest of your speakers?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Don't you have a receiver or pre/pro, that has a sub out? If so you already have a crossover.

$75 is chump change for a good active XO. A good passive XO will cost as much and not sound as good.........

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Don't you have a receiver or pre/pro, that has a sub out? If so you already have a crossover.

$75 is chump change for a good active XO. A good passive XO will cost as much and not sound as good.........

Dave_Gib

Stunt Coordinator

:b

oh yeah, I got one of those, I forgot, I guess it'll do for now

anybody think I could power this active car audio crossover with a power supply out of a PC, would I hear noise?

thanks for all the quick responses

Dave_Gib

Stunt Coordinator

:b

oh yeah, I got one of those, I forgot, I guess it'll do for now

anybody think I could power this active car audio crossover with a power supply out of a PC, would I hear noise?

thanks for all the quick responses

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
You don't need that. The sub out you have is better, use it. That's what 99% of all people use...

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
You don't need that. The sub out you have is better, use it. That's what 99% of all people use...

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I feel like an idiot for not noticing Thomas' post. If you mean you want the 4th order 80Hz (or whatever it is) filter most receivers use... then there is no point in having an external crossover, just set your speakers to small. If you are looking for more flexibility, I guess that costs money. :)

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I feel like an idiot for not noticing Thomas' post. If you mean you want the 4th order 80Hz (or whatever it is) filter most receivers use... then there is no point in having an external crossover, just set your speakers to small. If you are looking for more flexibility, I guess that costs money. :)

Dave_Gib

Stunt Coordinator
this is a lot for me to put together in my head

why would it be better for me to cross them over at 80 Hz than to use a variable xover that goes from 45 Hz and up

I've never done an IB like this before, I'm not sure how it will act

Dave_Gib

Stunt Coordinator
this is a lot for me to put together in my head

why would it be better for me to cross them over at 80 Hz than to use a variable xover that goes from 45 Hz and up

I've never done an IB like this before, I'm not sure how it will act

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks