What's new

DIY center speaker cabinet question (1 Viewer)

John Walker

Agent
Hi

I am considering building my own center channel speaker to match the existing mains.

I currently have a normal 27" TV but may someday upgrade to front projection so I am worried about tweeter aim. Rather than rubber door wedges has anyone built a cabinet with a slightly tilted front baffle? Off the top of my head I figure a 10 degree tilt would perfectly aim the tweeter at the listening position.

When I upgrade to projection I can just flip the cabinet over and place it on a low stand (below the screen) - now pointing up slightly.

Anyone done this or thought about it?

John

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Your mean something like this?

Mine, raw MDF form

Mine Finished. Notice it is ported in the front because of the placement in the armoire.

My frineds with oak veneer.

Yep! I've done it, actually twice. I built 2 at the same time. Mine is really custom and attached to a shelf in my entertainment armoire (first and second photo above.) The second one was for a friend and he is doing the exact same thing as you. It is on top of his TV right now and he plans to put it under his TV when he gets his RPTV. (Third photo above)

Here's 6 pages worth of pictures documenting the build. These are modified GR A/V-1+s, now the A/V-2s. You have to make sure the back of the larger drivers do not hit the top/bottom (depends on orientation) of the speaker after you add the angle.

I got a little anal and actually built a compass out of scrap MDF that I set on the armoire shelf. I attached a string to where the tweeter would be and sat on my couch, pulling the string taught. I then marked the angle I needed for the slope.

rf

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks