What's new

ditched norton, now what? PLEASE HELP! (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I used the McAfee virus/security Suite for a bit since a year of it came free with something I bought. I couldn't believe how much of my PC's resources that thing was using. It was like dumping a wheelbarrel full of bricks when I removed it and went with AVG and Zone Alarm. A great combo! Also Spybot with helps with security to keep the spyware slime out. All free!!

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I've been using AVG on my work and home computers for several years. The only time I have issues is if some remnant of Norton or Macafee rears its ugly head!:angry:
I've never seen so many folks using AVG. Proof that weak mind think alike!:laugh:

BruceD

Screenwriter
I've been using AVG virus and Zonealarm firewall on my computers since win98se in 1999 ? not sure of the date. I've never had any issues. Still using them, but I also use an old pc with bsdFree sw as a hardware firewall now that I'm on DSL.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys
thanks for the advice!!
I have 5 laptops and 2 desktops all using Norton (which I have been paying for). the cost to do this is out of control.
I just installed AVG for my newest laptop and will convert my other PCs to it also when their subsriptions expire.

thanks again!!

Gregg

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Well, why buck a trend? My Norton just expired today, so I went with AVG, too. Thanks for the info, everyone!

BTW, what's in it for AVG to offer this as freeware? If it weren't for all of you touting it, I'd really be skeptical.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

They also offer a more advanced version with more features for a fee. They are probably hoping you will like their product enough to purchase the "professional" version.

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently using McAfee It's free with Comcast. I did use AVG in my last system. If I use it again I think I'll buy it. AVG with Zone Alarm sound like a
winning combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks