What's new

Disturbia, Top Gun, Jack Ryan Collection Blu-Ray & HD DVD Late Summer/Fall (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
If true, those are some nice catalog titles from Paramount. I'm especially lucky, as I never did get around to buying Top Gun or the Jack Ryan films on DVD.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Probably get Face/Off, but unless Paramount starts adding some uncompressed soundtracks I'll pass on all the others.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Hmm - if the price is right on the Jack Ryan set, I might bite. Will definitely get Face/Off. Disturbia was good fun, but it might just get Netflixxed.

Now, Paramount....how bout some lossless audio on these puppies?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
There is a lot of buzz around that Top Gun will be their first lossless uncompressed title. Apparently some Paramount Insider at DVD Talk confirmed this, although I can't seem to find the thread where he said this. Reportedly TrueHD for HD-DVD and PCM for BD.

If anyone can find the link of this confirmation, please post it here.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Not really a big Top Gun fan but I'll pick up the previously reported Face/Off and the Jack Ryan set. Though I won't be happy if I get stuck with The Sum of All Fears.

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
I removed the Jack Ryan films from my DVD changer nearly a year ago because I knew they would hit fairly soon, amazing news indeed

-Gary

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Top Gun...why do I feel the need for a new sub or some tactile transducers?

Will this madness never end?

Please don't announce Crimson Tide any time soon!

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
The Blu-ray will bring back fond college memories of my roommate and I blasting the first Top Gun DVD and my sub knocking closed other people's windows in the dorm (later it would turn out I actually had it set wrong, with only the ultra-low bass set really high -- Robbie the Robot kicked ass over those steel grates in Lost in Space too -- no wonder). Subsequently, I was forced by the RA to send my subwoofer home. I nearly cried and gave it a hug before I boxed it up.

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator
Great news! I just hope that they will offer Hunt for Red October seperatly as I have no interest in the other Ryan films.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I will pick up Top Gun for sure and, if they come with seperate Jack Ryan movies, will add October as well. Crossing fingers for pcm on Top Gun.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I really hope the Top Gun transfer is better than what I watched on HDNet Movies last night. It was one of the worst looking hi-def movies I've watched in a long time(although at least they showed it in OAR). I have no doubt the audio will be amazing, but I'm really anxious to see if they clean up the PQ on this title.

Oh, and I can't wait for Face/Off. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
My question for Top Gun is this: will Paramount be smart enough to use the brand new 6.1 discrete mix they created for the last DVD and put it on HD as 6.1 PCM (Blu-ray) and 6.1 TrueHD (HD-DVD)? You know, like Fox did for X-Men 3 (6.1 DTS MA)?

Will Paramount do a "Disney" and release 24 bit master quality audio too, or will they pull a "WB" and just do 16 bit?

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Pretty sure Top Gun is Super 35 (necessary for the flight photography), so even if the video is top notch expect a lot of negative revews from the "I hate grain" and "where's my 3D pop" crowd.

You'll have to really know your reviewer or see it with your own eyes. I would think the grain structure of the film would benefit from extra bandwidth vs. that used for broadcast HD though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks