What's new

Distributed Audio Speaker Placement (1 Viewer)

I am doing a remodel and am installing a distributed audio system throughout the house. I am using 9 pairs of Phase Technology CI-40V speakers in separate rooms, and two pairs of Phase Tech Spacias in bathrooms.

I am using Ixos 14-4 speaker wire. Since I have never run in-wall stuff before I have a question about how you handle the wire. After you get to the first speaker in a zone, do you just leave a loop and continue on to speaker #2 and then make connections after drywall, or do you strip off the jacket and separate the pairs at the time you run the wire?

My second question regards speaker placement. The factory support techs say you can use these speakers in-wall or in the ceiling. Which provides better sound? How do you determine best placement in a room? If you install in the wall, does height matter? What about installing speakers in the wall above cabinets?

Any helpful hints on a whole house system are appreciated!

Thanks,
Cynthia

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hi Cynthia,

First, Welcome to the Forum!

Since you’re running 4-conductor speaker wire, the loop method will work fine. There’s no good reason to split-out and separate the separate wires. At the first speaker drop you can strip back the insulation, snip and terminate one of the pairs for that speaker. At the second location, the other pair will naturally be used - the remainder of the first pair remains in place as “dead wiring”. Make sense?

Regarding placement, you probably want in-wall at most locations. In-wall will give full-range coverage for most of the room (depending, or course, on the layout of the room), with the exception of locations close and extremely off axis of the wall they are mounted in. With in-ceiling, since the speakers are pointed at the floor, you are off-axis at most all points in the room, except for when you are directly underneath the speakers. The only way in-ceiling would be acceptable, in my opinion, would be if there are very high ceilings – like 15ft. or more.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks