Distance to picture?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by BobHaymond, Nov 17, 2004.

1. BobHaymond

BobHaymond Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony 36XBR mounted into a wall. I am considering a set of theater seats: three curved in back and two in front. Can some one tell me (or point me to a referance) some general rules as to distancing these seats from the screen?

TIA for any help.

2. John S

John S Producer

The general rule is 2 times your actual screen size, I'm pretty sure anyways.

3. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

I've always read and heard 3 times the diagonal measurement

4. Tod Golden

Tod Golden Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm, at three times my diagonal screen size the would be 16'3" for me. That seems a little far to me. I think I am close to 9' with my 65" Mits and it seems fine.

What would be the benefit to moving farther away?

Tod

5. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Tod,

In home theaters, the minimal distance is dictated by the height of the screen, because it's the scanlines you don't want to distinguish. Width does play a role: you also wouldn't want to have to move your head (i.s.o. of your eyes) to be able to look from the utter left to right, but in practice that's not the problem.

So a good minimum distance for current, non-HD NTSC systems (480 lines) would be: one-and-a-half to twice the height of your screen. Optimal distance is also influenced by personal preference, near- or far-sightedness, etc. and would typically be slightly more than the minimal distance.

Cees

6. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

7. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

Hmmm. I have always heard that the optimum distance is 1.5 to 2 times your screen width measured on the horizontal. I used 2 times my screen width in my setup and that seems perfect.

8. Tod Golden

Tod Golden Stunt Coordinator

I moved my seating back last night to about 12'. And I must admit that this distance has a more mind pleasing effect. I think I will take some measurements and tinker with the distance a little more.

Tod