What's new

Disney's The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad / Fun and Fancy Free (Blu-ray) Preorder (1 Viewer)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
DanH1972 said:
I'll only buy these classics if they're uncensored. If not, Disney does not get my money.
I don't understand why Disney would censor it's own films, the packaged films from the 1940's were meant for adults just like Looney Tunes is/was. I can see that kids would enjoy the packaged films for the animation and colors, but the adults would enjoy it more for the content and humor, but maybe that's just me.

Another thing, why did Disney not included Mr. Toad on the cover, the whole movie isn't all about Ichabod and same goes with Fun And Fancy Free, why is Bongo missing.

mstgator

Agent
Real Name
Aaron
Powell&Pressburger said:
According to someone who posted info on amazon's product listing they noted the version of Saludos Amigos as the bonus feature is NOT uncensored and is the same version where the cigarette smoking has been altered.Unless someone else can confirm?
My copy of "Walt & El Grupo" features the uncensored "Saludos Amigos" (with Goofy smoking). There's a short onscreen message before the movie actually begins explaining why previous editions were revised, and that the version on this disc is "as Walt Disney and his animators created it."

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
According to someone who posted info on amazon's product listing they noted the version of Saludos Amigos as the bonus feature is NOT uncensored and is the same version where the cigarette smoking has been altered.
I don't see that. Then again, it's another case where Amazon is too lazy to have the reviews actually relate to the release and not the title. I hate that. I'm not alone, I know.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Brian Kidd said:
I don't see that. Then again, it's another case where Amazon is too lazy to have the reviews actually relate to the release and not the title. I hate that. I'm not alone, I know.
Totally agree. How much trouble would it be for Amazon to require someone enter the exact edition being reviewed before it could be posted? I am quite sure they have the technology, if not the will.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Dick said:
Totally agree. How much trouble would it be for Amazon to require someone enter the exact edition being reviewed before it could be posted? I am quite sure they have the technology, if not the will.
That information is already tagged to the reviews. Right below the reviewer name it will say:
This review is from: Saludos Amigos (Disney Gold Classic Collection) (DVD)
or
This review is from: Saludos Amigos [VHS] (VHS Tape) [color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;]

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I will most certainly be placing an order.

Fun1.jpg

toad.jpg

Doug.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
mstgator said:
My copy of "Walt & El Grupo" features the uncensored "Saludos Amigos" (with Goofy smoking). There's a short onscreen message before the movie actually begins explaining why previous editions were revised, and that the version on this disc is "as Walt Disney and his animators created it."
Somehow I doubt they would backtrack on this title after this. Nobody who wants it wants a censored version.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The DVD's were not censored so there is no reason why these should be. If they are I agree I would not purchase them.
The titles that were censored were:
Melody Time
Make Mine Music
Saludos Amigos

DanH1972 said:
I'll only buy these classics if they're uncensored. If not, Disney does not get my money.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
They didn't undo the censorship in Fantasia and I doubt they will for these either. I dearly hope I'm wrong.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I disagree. The censorship in Fantasia is a different beast, as it was done with Walt's seal of approval optically. Current masters have done some cleanup of the excessive grain, which suggests that the elements being used have the censorship "baked in". The censorship of Melody Time was done digitally, erasing cigarettes in the Pecos Bill segment to the point of absurdity, and they simply excised the entire Martins and the Coys segment from Make Mine Music and digitally erased the marquee for that segment from the opening titles. Also of note is that the censorship of these two titles was done during the Eisner regime, as was Saludos Amigos. Walt and El Grupo came out in 2008, three years after Eisner left, and I note that Pinocchio on Blu-ray was released with all its smoking scenes intact, with a similar if not identical PSA re: smoking to the Walt and El Grupo one. If I were a betting man, I would bet that Melody Time will be released with smoking scenes intact; I sincerely hope that cooler heads will prevail with Make Mine Music and The Martins and the Coys segment will be reinstated.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Dick said:
I believe Disney is planning to release all remaining animated features this year with the exception of the Diamond Editions.

THREE CABALLEROS / SALUDOS AMIGOS
MAKE MINE MUSIC / MELODY TIME (probably still censored)

THE BLACK CAULDRON
HERCULES
TARZAN
Hopefully then, they can begins turning their attentions to the live-action classics.
Does anyone remember the much missed Disney Treasures series? The ones that came in silver tins? I wonder if any of that material will make it to Bluray? Meanwhile , it 's good to see both of these animated features coming to Bluray - Mr toad is one of my favorite Disney cartoon characters

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
LouA said:
Does anyone remember the much missed Disney Treasures series? The ones that came in silver tins? I wonder if any of that material will make it to Bluray? Meanwhile , it 's good to see both of these animated features coming to Bluray - Mr toad is one of my favorite Disney cartoon characters
LouA said:
I have some of those tins. However, many were never restored or from HD masters. Unless Disney has been secretly restoring all their original cartoon shorts, I doubt we'll ever see them on Blu-ray or any other higher end format.

For whatever reason, they don't even seem to like Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Donald, etc. etc. even though many were just as good (or better) than the Looney Tunes short subjects. These classic and iconic characters are barely acknowledged or given any theatrical screen time any more.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
DanH1972 said:
For whatever reason, they don't even seem to like Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Donald, etc. etc. even though many were just as good (or better) than the Looney Tunes short subjects. These classic and iconic characters are barely acknowledged or given any theatrical screen time any more.
Disney dosen't care about it's past, it only focuses on the now, it's become too cold of a company; Disney's has just about lost it's magic that made it great to begin with.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
darkrock17 said:
Disney dosen't care about it's past, it only focuses on the now, it's become too cold of a company; Disney's has just about lost it's magic that made it great to begin with.
I don't buy either piece of that. On the first (caring about it's past)...it is still releasing all of its animated product on the newest format available - Blu ray. Are these all bells and whistles special editions? No, but realistically, we can't expect that for every single release. Disney has shown a commitment over the last few years to get all their animated product into the market. This started with the waves of catalogue releases we saw in either 2011 or 2012 (I honestly forget which one). You can be cynical and say Disney just wanted to make money off their titles, which is true, but they're also thinking about bringing their films to a new audience.

Second, they're trying to bring new audiences to their older material. The Tinker Bell movies, for instance, might create interest in Peter Pan. They're also the means to create a new girl franchise; let's be realistic...this is a for-profit company. Of course money is going to factor in. A new version of Sleeping Beauty is coming in the fall. Yes, it's designed to tie in with the video release of Maleficient, but who cares? This is how you build a fanbase over time.

Third, I'm not sure what you mean by too "cold" of a company. It's a for-profit enterprise in a capitalist society. Are they just putting movies out regardless of quality? No. I think the last few Disney animated films are proof of that.

Fourth, what "magic" has been lost? If you're going to say no current film is as beloved as Snow White or something like that, don't. Snow White has had 77 years to become a classic. You're going to have to wait at least that long to see if Little Mermaid, Lion King, Frozen, etc. can become classics. I'd argue the first two have already reached that status.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I recently watched The Great Mouse Detective on Blu-ray, not having seen it in several years. I was surprised at how much smoking there was in the movie (among other content that would be questionable in an animated children's film today). I don't believe there's ever been any controversy about it, or an altered release of it.

I hope that all the other movies that had their smoking scenes altered or omitted will see them restored for Blu-ray release.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
darkrock17 said:
Didn't this past Christmas season they released a new Micky Mouse Cartoon using Walt Disney's voice. That kind of sounds like embracing the past to me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
cafink said:
I recently watched The Great Mouse Detective on Blu-ray, not having seen it in several years. I was surprised at how much smoking there was in the movie (among other content that would be questionable in an animated children's film today). I don't believe there's ever been any controversy about it, or an altered release of it.

I hope that all the other movies that had their smoking scenes altered or omitted will see them restored for Blu-ray release.
I haven't seen any of them in years but is it possible that it was easy to delete the smoking from Saludos Amigos and the others (because smoking is only in a handful of shots) while it would be much harder to delete it from The Great Mouse Detective (which, if memory serves, is similar to Sherlock Homes so he smokes a pipe a lot)?

Whatever the reason, I doubt The Great Mouse Detective was responsible for an increase in pipe smoking amongst children so I think it's safe to assume that the original version of Saludos Amigos wouldn't get kids to start smoking either.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It seems to me that the censorship of Saludos Amigos would verge on the ridiculous, since Jose Carioca is perpetually smoking a cigar, much like the censorship in Pecos Bill. Was smoking similarly censored from The Three Caballeros? I haven't seen either film in ages, but would hope that the 2-pack release of Caballeros and Amigos would be uncensored, with the PSA from Pinocchio (or a similar one incorporating smoking scenes from the two films) would be attached.

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cheryl Williams
Stephen_J_H said:
I disagree. The censorship in Fantasia is a different beast, as it was done with Walt's seal of approval optically. Current masters have done some cleanup of the excessive grain, which suggests that the elements being used have the censorship "baked in". The censorship of Melody Time was done digitally, erasing cigarettes in the Pecos Bill segment to the point of absurdity, and they simply excised the entire Martins and the Coys segment from Make Mine Music and digitally erased the marquee for that segment from the opening titles. Also of note is that the censorship of these two titles was done during the Eisner regime, as was Saludos Amigos. Walt and El Grupo came out in 2008, three years after Eisner left, and I note that Pinocchio on Blu-ray was released with all its smoking scenes intact, with a similar if not identical PSA re: smoking to the Walt and El Grupo one. If I were a betting man, I would bet that Melody Time will be released with smoking scenes intact; I sincerely hope that cooler heads will prevail with Make Mine Music and The Martins and the Coys segment will be reinstated.
What was the official reason why they excised the Martin and McCoy segment from Make Mine Music? Was it considered politically incorrect for some reason?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks