What's new

Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame - 16x9??? (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Just read on thedigitalbits.com that this title is going to be available March 12.

No mention of 16x9 or OAR can be found anywhere on the web that I've looked. does anyone have a clue? Anyone have any advanced copy?

I'm a little worried after getting all worked up for a 16x9 Sister Act and then getting a 4x3 lbxed LD-transfer re-hash.

Since The Hunchback of Notre Dame was an LD that came out right when DVD was getting going...I'm a little worried they might take the cop-out approach with this too.

-dave

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
FYI David, the actual release date is March 19th. Thedigitalbits website intended to say that, but the grammar is ambiguous.

I had thought that it was confirmed to by 16x9, but I don't have a source at the moment. I'll look around...

-Chad

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Cool.

I just home the "confirmation" is more reliable than the confirmation we had about Sister Act!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen - Disney's very own site says so
The laserdisc was 1.85:1, IIRC. The Disney sight located here says 1.85:1 also, but nothing about anamorphic. It would be highly unlikely that it would be non-anamorphic, though.
Perhaps you were reading specs on the DTV sequel?
Regards,

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I thought both were supposed to be direct digital transfers from the archival data files (as most of their recent transfers have been).

The first Hunchback was to be 1.85:1 (16x9 enhanced) w/DTS and the direct to video sequel 1.66:1 (16x9 enhanced) w/DTS.

Did Disney slip a cog?? Too bad the first one couldn't have had full bitrate DTS. The Laserdisc did, of course, and the sound quality was/is spectacular!

Dan

Anthony Liz

Stunt Coordinator
Hunchback of Notre Dame IS anamorphic (1.85:1) and contains both a DD 5.1 and DTS track.

Hunchback II contains the same audio specs.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
The laserdisc was 1.85:1, IIRC. The Disney sight located here says 1.85:1 also, but nothing about anamorphic. It would be highly unlikely that it would be non-anamorphic, though.
Whoops, sorry for the foul-up. It is 1.85:1. I could have sworn that they had "Enhanced for 16 x 9 Televisions" in the specs the last time I checked, but I notice it is not there.

I doubt it won't be 16 x 9 enhanced, but maybe I'm just imagining it said that before.

Sorry for the AR confusion. I think the sequel might be the one that said 1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen.

Good thing about Disney, is you don't have to worry about them releasing their animated classics in non-OAR.

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
I have the new German release that just came out and it is 16:9/1.85 so the R1 release will most likely be also.

kd

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Dan Hitchman:

What LD do you have. I have the CAV Collector's Edition boxset and it only contains an AC-3 soundtrack? Was another version released with a DTS track?

By the way, if you also have the CAV Collector's edition - don't get rid of it. The DVD being released falls quite short in the supplemental area compared to the CAV LD version.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
The hunchback of notre dame was one of the laserdiscs Disney released with a DTS soundtrack. (No extras though) I own it as well.

It may have been licenced to Image...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
There were three Hunchback flavors on laserdisc:

CLV Dolby Digital w/no extras

CLV DTS w/no extras

CAV Dolby Digital collector's edition w/beaucoup extras

Regards,

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I thought this *was* an extras-laden DVD? Isn't this a platinum edition DVD?
No, it's not a Platinum Edition. In fact, it doesn't fall under any prior Disney line (i.e. Platinum, Gold) or even earn a label like "Special Edition." It's just "The Original Animated Classic" according to the banner on the cover.

Features include commentary, a making-of featurette, and a game. Basically, it seems like the bare-bones "Limited Edition" type of release that Disney pushed out a few years ago. Now that "Peter Pan" has again been re-released, "Hunchback..." will probably see more deluxe treatment down the line in a few years, but nothing is certain.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Now that I've thought about it, I realized I was getting mixed up with another Kirk Wise/Gary Trousdale animated movie, the beauty and the beast, which will be the next platinum DVD...
...IIRC :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not to beat a dead horse here, but are we sure HOND is anamorphic? I was looking at them in the store tonight and while both are widescreen, HOND says nothing about being anamorphic or enhanced, while HOND II plainly states such. Anyone know definitively?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks