Disney's disposable DVD to hit test markets Sept 8

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Keith Paynter, Sep 8, 2003.

1. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

2. Eric Brunton

Eric Brunton Agent

Has anyone started a campagin against disposable dvds such as creating a website other than this thread? I remember a lot of anti - DIVX websites that came out to inform the public and others why we didn't need DIVX. And yes, disposable DVDs ARE A WASTE OF RESOURCES.

3. Justin_M

Justin_M Agent

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I stick with my laser disc. You could never buy it in this 'format', you could only rent it. [​IMG]

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

6. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

7. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    and, like DIVX, I suspect that most (if not all) of the disposable releases will be "fullscreen," as they are appealing to the lowest common denominator. So, no steps forward, two steps back.

8. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

9. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Excuse my ignoraance,and I hope this doesn't go against forum rules, but would it be possible to give these disposable discs a clear coat that would prevent the oxidation, thus extending the life of the disc?

D'Oh! I just read Mark's post on the first page. Great minds think alike...

10. Mickey P

Mickey P Agent

11. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine Stunt Coordinator

First I will agree with everyone here that this format is at best SILLY.

but...

EZ-D is not designed for anyone on this forum. It's public is specific and probably out there waiting. The question is "How big will that public be?".
    As long as Disney keeps coming out with quality discs I can purchase (at a decent price) that has a good soundtrack, is anamorphic, and contains interesting extras - I could care less what they do on the side! Pan&Scan - Black and White - Colorized - full of advertising, who cares???

Who might be affected by this format?
    Sorry to say our wonderful REVIEWERS may be unhappy to be getting these in the mail one day as short term review discs. Also it is possible that academy screeners may find a home in this format.
    But for the rest of us, I do not see a problem in the near future (or even far future). It is just another option.

Another drawback to EZ-D is that they are all DVD5. The studios may be surprised to learn that these are much easier to rip that DVD9. Ooops! [​IMG]

Last I will just comment that Disney bashing, which just 2 years ago was almost a contact sport in this forum, has now just become a amateur past-time. Yes, I believe there is a small element of Disney bashing in this thread.

I will conclude by commenting that an article is the LA times several months ago quoted Michael Eisner as being somewhat skeptical of the EZ-D format. As I stated in an earlier thread on this topic, I believe Disney is just doing a favor in providing product for an experimental format.

Thanks for reading.
    Rick

12. Ron Pinsonneault

Ron Pinsonneault Auditioning

Everybody,
    This sounds like cackling in a henhouse. This format is a moot point.(PERIOD). Let's move on.[​IMG]

13. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

It's a pirate's dream come true. Don't have a CC for Netflix or other services? Want cheap movies for a short period of time so you can rip them and copy them with your DVD-Burner? BAM! Disney hits you with the solution.

Realistically, that's the only market segment I think there is that looks at this with any eagerness.

14. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Chris, I just read your message and the Disney TV logo popped up in the corner of my mind. Wouldn't it be a riot if they were all embedded?

Glenn

15. John_Berger

16. John_Berger

17. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

Since it is a chemical reaction, I expect that storing it in the freezer would significantly slow or stop the reaction.

I am also sure that you need a continuing supply of oxygen for the reaction to proceed, therefore, coating the disc should stop the reaction.

Since these actions are not intended to circumvent copy protection, I don't see that it is a violation of the DMCA, and I don't see any reason that it can't be discussed.

I would love to get one of these discs to play with just as an intellectual excercise. I expect that it wouldn't be that difficult to prevent the oxidation.

Lets get one of members to take a crack at it. It would be great entertainment for those of us outside the market areas.

18. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

19. John_Berger

20. Justin_M

Justin_M Agent