What's new

Disney's Beauty And The Beast..IMAX Presentation (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
An update in regard to the aspect ratio question.
According to an article on www.widescreenreview.com Beauty And The Beast IMAX IS being shown at the 1.66 aspect ratio, letterboxed within the 1.44 IMAX frame, as I reported initially. There is no cropping.
Hope this clears up that debate:D.

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Beauty and the Beast is shown in it's OAR. It is "letterboxed", given that the IMAX screen is more square than conventional theater screens. Each frame of the feature boasts the horizontal black bars at the top and bottom. Fantasia 2000 was also like this, since they had always planned on releasing it into conventional theaters once it's run at the IMAX houses was done.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Wow, it's nice to see that this thread is here. I just got back from seeing this IMAX version and I have to say that it was one of the best theater experiences I've ever had.

The IMAX presentation was nothing short of amazing, and the film itself holds up even better the second time around as you start to remember some of the fantastic songs from the film.

I can't say enough great things about this IMAX version. It was a truly special experience.

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Are you sure about that info, Michael? Not saying you're not correct, it just seems like a pretty major step to take once "all production decisions had been made."

What I mean is, I wouldn't have thought that they would have gotten everything squared away, then just decided "hey, let's put this into IMAX". It's more than just a matter of blowing up the image to a bigger size; it requires enough extra work (and money) to have been more than just an afterthought.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks