What's new

Disney's Alice in Wonderland 2-Disc SE specs! (1 Viewer)

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Sure, the Goofy set has a much, much wider mass-market appeal than a collection of the silent pre-Mickey material would have.

The filmography in that book I mentioned above provides, among other things, info on which universities / libraries / film institutes are known to own a copy of any specific film.

Some of the films are unfortunately known to exist in incomplete form only, but as complete as possible would still be better than nothing and highly interesting to amateur Disney historians such as ourselves.

It has been pointed out that there shouldn't be a rights problem since these films are long pd. Perhaps Disney hasn't bothered to do anything serious about these films particularly for that reason - because "anyone" could release a collection of the same films at any time...?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
It's probably not a rights problem as much as a Disney doesn't own them so they wont put them out. I imagine that if these (the Alice shorts) get a proper Disney release, bootleggers would be all over them, and the resultant rights issues of public domain could get sticky.

the compromise would be having a constant subtitle run along the bottom stating transfer owned by the disney company, which I wouldn't mind if it meant owning these.

Couldn't they do a pre-disney tin of all the existing Alice comedies and Waldo cartoons?

James Reader

Screenwriter
Good too see Disney are promoting the important features of the set first "Includes a Virtual Wonderland Tea Party". You wouldn't know it included anything else from the front cover or the boxout :thumbsdown:

SteveK

Supporting Actor
DDD has this available for pre-order at $20.51; not bad. I may have to add this to my DDD pre-orders, along with the Looney Tunes collection and the 4 upcoming Disney Treasures. My enjoyment of animation is starting to get expensive! Thanks for the heads-up.

Steve K.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Was this recently digitally re-restored to its full spendor or are we just getting a repackaging of the Gold Edition transfer?

Dan

BarryS

Second Unit
Excellent. Alice in Wonderland is possibly my favorite Disney animated film. This is a must-own for me.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Good question Dan. I would like to know the same thing. I know that Disc 2 will be new extras etc...but is the video presentation the same??????????

James Reader

Screenwriter
Well, the new disc has THX certification. The original doesn't. I'll leave it up to you to decide if that means anything or not.

Plus, how come Alice is available for a "Limited Time" but The Lion King is available for 2 years? The same with Sleeping Beauty. That's supposed to be a Platinum now, but was released as a Special Edition and Limited Time only. What the... ?!?

Given the disappointing Lion King supplements, does this mean Disney are downgrading the Platinum releases and favoring the new 2 Disc releases? Or is it, as I suspect, Disney doesn't have a clue as it what it is doing?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
James,

It's the latter. Most definitely the latter. :D

The morons can't even give the U.S. Region 1 DTS tracks for their A list animated titles anymore, and everyone else does with virtually no loss in video quality!!!

Oh, and by the way... everyone go see Brother Bear because that might just send a message to Disney that traditional hand animation can be a money maker. Otherwise it'll be back in the dark ages again until they figure out it isn't the animation style that gets butts in the seats, it's the story that counts!

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks