What's new

Disneyland 50th Anniversary thread. (1 Viewer)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
According to a recent article on Miceage, Ouimat has opened up the money to have Space Mountain open in time for the 17th, which would be really cool.

Any Disneyland fans who haven't read Miceage.com should check it out. It's a great website full of information.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Randy,
Thanks for the heads up re: Space Mt. I heard there was a chance of it opening up in time for the summer.

I dont read Miceage as often as i should; but I do hear the DL news anyway from a couple friends.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Matt, when was the last time you were there? Have you been to CA Adventure?

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I was at the park in Jan 04. Went to Universal for an Iron Maiden concert :D

Ive been to CA Adventure once ro twice but wasnt too impressed; mind you I wasnt there that long and a bunch of rides were closed so Im wanting to get in this year.

My friend who I will be traveling with has an annual. Im going to the Disney Store here in Sac or going online and buying a 2 day hopper in advance.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Yeah, I was goint to say that they are offering (to certain zip code areas) the park hopper. If your unable to get them, let me know, I can get them for you and mail them to you if you'd like.

I will agree that DCA is not that impressive but it does have a nice relaxing atmosphere about it and a few rides are fun. I've actually been hanging out there more so then Disneyland lately. It's never really crowded which make it nice. Plus we hang at the Grand CA hotel, they have a great outdoor fire place and a bar next door. Makes for a great place to hang, drink and smoke a stogie. :)

Also, I have a few 20% off coupons from our annual pass renewals if you'd like one. They are good on any purchase over $50. I plan to get myself a Jack Skellington pocket watch next time I'm there.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Ah, but they just put in one of our fav rides, Tower of Terror at DCA. Has anyone been able to compare the two? Same, similar, different?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Different, yet similar.

The one at DCA is a vertical ride only where as the one at WDW goes vertical and horizontal.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Thanks Ron. That's too bad. Part of the experience of riding ToT at DW is the first part where the "story" is told as you're rolling around horizontally. Gotta go experience it anyways.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Disney is apparently supposed to remove FastPass from all the rides this year. That won't sit with me very well.

And having two price increases on the annual passes within a 6 week period sucked (went from $220 to $279 to $350). It's just not that economical any longer.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Brian, where did you hear about the fastpass removals from? That is a big promo deal for them I cannot see that happening.

Not sure where your annual pricing is coming from but I paid $309 for my premium last week. Currently they are $329 (for premium at the ticket window) and on down at Disneyland.com.

I really have no grips with the increases. 12 years ago I bought my first premium pass for $179 so a $130 increase over 12 years is not that bad. Plus, the higher they go the more people won't buy. I and my family go 2 or 3 times a month so it pays off in no time.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Even at a discount, $309 is still a 50% increase over the price they were less than a year ago (when renewals were $205).

Regarding FastPass, it was an 'past' management Disney decision. the thinking was that with FastPass, guests would spend more time spending money at concession stands/carts/shops than in line not spending any money. It's been reported quite a bit on the Disney boards, and pretty much most of the info posted on those boards has come true. So it's been unofficially reported that FastPass will be done away with, and that many of the concession carts (there's three times as many in the park as there ever have been) will be thinned accordingly as well.

Annual pass holders, the number of people that hold these passes became so large, the major price increases were introduced to "thin" the ranks. That definitely explains the two time price hike in such a short period of time.

We'll see what happens on the 50th, whether or not FastPass is still around, and how much annual passes increase.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I see their logic with the FastPass system. It would be a bummer to see them go.

I'm all for this...

I still don't mind the price hikes, I use the pass more then enough to get my monies worth.

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
My family and I are heading to Disneyland for the first time this summer--right around the 50th anniversary--and we are desperate for some first-hand accurate information about the hotels outside the park.

Can anyone help? Some of the user reviews on Tripadvisor.com have us worried--roaches, ants, etc. I'm not sure I trust some of those reviews, but I don't want to get stuck in a horrible motel either. Here are a few that we're considering:

Anaheim International Travelodge $99/night
Howard Johnson $119/night
Fairfield Inn Anaheim Disneyland Resort $129/night
Ramada Plaza Anaheim Resort $99/night
Best Western Stovall's $95/night

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a family of six, and I really don't want to get stuck in a bad motel.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I've stayed at the Ho-Jo (Howard Johnson) two or three times. It's clean but not great -- the rates have always been reasonable and it has easy access (as do most of the parks) through the trolley cars. I wish I could remember where I stayed last time, it advertised that it was at the "Maingate" when in reality I had to walk through the Grand Californian to get to the Downtown Disney and park areas. It's worth calling the hotel and asking which entrance side their on.

Long story short, the Ho-Jo was fine. For as much time as you'll spend in the hotel, I wouldn't worry about much other than a clean bed and probably a pool for the kids. First time there (if it was anything like mine some 20 years ago,) we opened and shut the park; 8am-12am :) Be sure to get pictures of the kids passed out in restaurant booths and on hotel beds, they make funny stories and memories for down the road.

Have a great time, I'm planning on going down in a few months myself. I really want to be part of the 50th anniversary -- I only wish our daughter was older, we're going to leave her with Grandma and Grandpa (but she'll get some ears, I promise.)

Doug

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
We stayed at the Angels Inn one time. Never again. It definately had roaches, and was disgusting. I don't know if it still exists, or still goes by that name. But, if it does, YUCK!

IMHO, it's worth the extra money to stay on property.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Hey Ron,
PM me here on the forum if you want or can meet up.
Ill be in towm Fri, Sat and Sun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks