What's new

Disney the classics, animated and non animated? (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Doug,

by "4x3 lbx" I was talking about the *widescreen* DVD that was non-anamorphic.

Yes, the 2nd time the title was released on DVD it was released in widescreen 16x9 (2.35:1) along with a digitally recomposed 4x3 1.33:1 version.

The original DVD was 4x3 (non anamorphic) letterbox 2.35:1.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Oh I got ya letterboxed non anamorphic. I don't think I ever saw that version, just the more recent release.

Doug

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
yeah, it was a major bummer when first released. Here was a direct-from-digital animated feature and Disney was mastering it 4x3 letterboxed! :angry:

Those were dark Disney times for HT enthusiasts. ;) Then the studio turned around and started making "format statement" releases (most) with DVD that, thankfully, they're now doing with HD media as well: maximizing image and sound quality along with providing generous bonus material.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Yes. Too bad this wasn't across the board. With minor catalog titles (some of which, frankly, I want on BD more than things like Pirates and Narnia) it was a toss-up as to which would get remastered, which would get 16x9.

And then there's the sound issues.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'd go for that.
i was one of the 20 or so who saw it in a theater during it's intitial run

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Yep count me in. I was all of 7 went it came out. I had freaky dreams about those wheeler(?) guys for nights afterword.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Did a search and found this thread. I just got on board for HD-DVD a month ago. So I am still getting up to speed as what's out there and on what format. I am not a huge collector of Disney, but I was reminded of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea yesterday and did a search. I plan to eventually go neutral and go BD too as I see Disney and other titles I'm interested in is Blu-Ray.

Oh well, I still have the SD SE 2 disc set from 2003, IIRC the release date. Just dug it out and played it for the first time on the Toshiba HD-DVD upconvert player and it looks pretty good. A little EE. I guess it will do till I make the jump to BD when it's released.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
If you want a cheap option right now for a Blu-ray player there is a thread in the Bargains and Coupons section for a refurbished Phillips player for $198.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not in a rush, but it's good to learn of good deals when they come up!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
So is Sleeping Beauty still the only true classic animated Disney with a date?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I know that Sleeping Beauty is scheduled to be released 10/7/08. But when will we see any of the other Disney Classics? Especially the ones that where said to be released here in the near future.

Sleeping Beauty 10/07/08
Finding Nemo ?/?/?
National Treasure 5/20/08
The Chronicles of Narnia 5/13/08

Pinocchio ?/?/?
Peter Pan ?/?/?
The Incredibles ?/?/?
Atlantis ?/?/?
The Rescuers ?/?/?
Mary Poppins ?/?/?
Aladdin ?/?/?
Toy Story ?/?/?
The Black Hole ?/?/?
101 Dalmatians ?/?/?
James And The Giant Peach ?/?/?
Treasure Island ?/?/?

I would love to know what the other titles are set for release and when we can exspect more Disney classic titles. Anyone hear anything lately?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nothing more than a guess but Toy Story 3 comes out in summer 2010 (and TS1 and 2 are getting re-released in late 2009 and early 2010) so I'd guess that you'll see the Blu Rays for all three in fall 2010.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i know about national treasure, watching it as i type/ :)
not exactly a disney classic though.

would the pixar films be considered disney classics at this point?
from that list, Dave, it looks like no true classics are scheduled yet.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My bad Tony. :laugh: I was thinking about Disney films and anything else with there name on it. And I just started typing and Oooops. Anyway I would like to see some true Disney classics come out between now and the end of 09'.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
:)

i think that it wouldnt be crazy to consider most if not all the pixars classics at this point.

also, not a classsic, but is an official disney animated release Chicken Little is on BR

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Since Disney delayed (*pfft) Finding Nemo til 2009, I hope they release at least another Pixar catalog title in the fall with WALL-E.

Preferably The Incredibles.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

THE INCREDIBLES would certainly be my pick. I think it, even more than FINDING NEMO, will be an astounding Blu-ray release.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Pinocchio is on schedule for March 2009.

Whatever ends up being the Platinum release in Fall 09 (most likely Snow White, Beauty and the Beast or Fantasia) will be released on BD at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks