What's new

DISNEY: Song of the South (or explanation why rights can not be sold) (1 Viewer)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I always thought the Cosby story was true, but apparentenly it isn't.

I saw "Song of the South" in a theater as a kid and was completely bored with the film. I can't see many kids actually wanting to watch the film repeatedly as they do other Disney fare. The film's classic repuation may be due mainly to the song "Zippy-Doo-Da" which is available on Disney Home Video.

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
Actually, there was an NTSC VHS tape released in Japan in the mid-90's, as well. I have it. It has subtitles throughout the film, unlike the LD, which only has subtitles during the songs. With two audio tracks, Japanese and English, dialog was dubbed, but not the songs.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
If Song of the South is so blatantly racist, then why is Birth of a Nation (which is so obviously racist it turns stomachs even to this day) out on DVD with no protests?
Because Birth of a Nation is a very low profile release -- the typical home video consumer has never even heard of it and probably wouldn't buy it even if they had, simply because it's silent.

Disney is a "family values" company. They have a reputation to uphold. The home video companies that have released Birth of a Nation, which is in the public domain, don't have the burden of this on their backs. Also, those companies didn't make Birth of a Nation themselves, so they're not responsible for its content. Song of the South is a Disney film, and furthermore, a children's film.

I hope they'll release it, but comparing it to the Birth of a Nation release is like comparing apples and oranges. It's a different situation with a lot more complications.

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
Crawdaddy:

Okay, just wondering. I have seen it 10 to 12 times over the years. A couple of times in theatrical release and several times from my laserdisc. I pull it out every couple of years to watch. It's a cute film. I would look forward to it being released in the USA on DVD so that I don't have the Japanese subtitles on the songs.;)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Speaking of public domain. Could Song of the South go public domain? Or would Disney claim it then before it did? And if so, when would it go public domain?

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Speaking of public domain. Could Song of the South go public domain?
Not if Congress keeps extending the copyright laws. Even if this last extension was the final one, it'll be a LONG time before Song of the South is in the public domain (in the US). Under the current copyright extension: 2041, 95 years from its original copyright in 1946. The current copyright term is 95 years for works copyrighted 1923 through 1978.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I have to disagree with Brian W. Even though Disney is considered a family studio, it is wrong to forget the past. Every studio has produced older movies which have material which is now considered offensive to certain groups but these movies are part of film history.

I also don't like what Disney is doing to their older films. First of all, I don't like the idea that Disney may never release Song Of The South onto DVD because it may offened people. I also don't like the fact that Disney is editing their older movies such as Fantasia, Saludos Amigos.

Disney,

Song The South needs to be on DVD in its uncut format. Also Dinsey, you also need to release your older movies in the ir uncut format. Disney, you also need to re-release the movies such as Fantasia, Saludos Amigos, etc onto DVD in their uncut format.

Also, there is a big difference with the older movies compared to newer movies. Content which is considered racist in our time period was considered okay in the older days.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Just because some of the content in question was allowed in the films of yesteryear, doesn't necessarily mean they weren't considered racist by more than a few people during the times the films were originally released. Racial tolerance towards others didn't just begin during the civil rights movement.

Crawdaddy

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Its the PC thing.
I dont think its that bad.
Luckily I found the laserdisc a few years ago and converted it to VHS.

Disney can release crappy movies based on theme park rides but they cant release Song of the South?

JohnRyan

Stunt Coordinator
As an avid Disney fan and collector, I would love to have Song of the South on DVD. Unfortunately, Disney seems to think that people are still sensitive to so called racial connotations used in the film. This is ridiculous. This movie is an absolute classic. I don't think there is anyone who has never heard "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah"! People are likely to wonder where the hell that song came from. Well, the people in America won't know and may never know because the most recent generations were never able to watch this film. The ONLY reason I was FINALLY able to see it was with Japanese subtitles! How ridiculous is this?

If Disney is so reluctant to release Song of the South in the United States, then they should remove Splash Mountain from the theme parks. I don't want to see anything related to the ride or movie if we can't even buy the goll darn film!!! The film must not be that bad if they are able to make loads of money on Song of the South merchandise and have that ride in the park!

While Disney is releasing pathetic films such as "Cinderella 2", "Jungle Book 2", "Lady and the Tramp 2", and "Atlantis", there are wonderful films, masterpieces, kickin' it in the ol' Disney Vault just waiting to be released to today's generation. I'm beginning to see Disney has lost it's imagination and dedication to quality when it comes to their movies. I'm losing my desire to keep collecting as their objectives at Disney have changed and the quality has gone down the tubes.

If Disney won't release Song of the South, then screw them. This is ridiculous!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Obviously Disney doesn't think that there are any Americans living in or visitng Australia that can be offended, because the Disney Channel here in OZ plays "Song of the South" on a very regular basis.

It's a very nice looking Technicolor print.

The real life sections of the movie are quite syrupy, but the animated sequences are a joy.

It's not one of Disney's best, but it is pretty to look at and a delight to listen to.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
I too don't understand why this is not out. Other releases can be considered just as bad. Look at Roots, the portrayal of some of the slaves could be seen as just as offensive, but it's release was applauded. Then we have movies such as "Don't Drink Your Juice...." which is nothing more than a spoof of other more supposedly serious "black issues" movies, and is full of stereotyping, and poking fun at those stereotypes. Yet no one is raising a stink about that.

Ugh, it is so time for Eisner and Harvey to move on.

Chris

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Song Of The South is being broadcast on BBC2 this morning -11:00am. I'll record it onto PAL DVHS out of curiosity.

Absolutely no mention of the controversy surrounding this film in the Radio Times.

Damon Morrin

Agent
All African-Americans weren't like Uncle Remus? Thanks for informing me, I didn't realize I had been forever corrupted by watching SOS as a child.

All sarcasm aside, it is basically a children's film. It did perpetuate some racial stereotype, however, it could be an effective learning tool if Disney used it as an opportunity to educate young people watching the film about the plight of slaves in the antebellum south.

JohnRyan

Stunt Coordinator
Again, "Gone With The Wind" portrays African Americans no different than in SOTS. So what's the big hairy deal DISNEY??????? I've about had it with Disney.

Show your support and visit http://www.savedisney.com .

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Linda, this is simply a bootleg. Disney owns the film and its copyright, and has buried it. Anybody that sells it on a website or eBay auction (including some unscrupulous types who are selling bootlegs copies of the legit UK PAL VHS tape) is perpetuating copyright infringement. The only legit NTSC version available is on Japanese laserdisc (frequently auctioned on eBay and averaging $200-300 by end of auction)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
There is more racist material in your average R rated movie and broadcast on any FM Radio station than could possibly be found in 100 SONG OF THE SOUTHs.

JohnRyan

Stunt Coordinator
It's Disney's own fault that copyright infringement of this film has been and is occurring. How can they complain if the public hasn't been given the chance to legitamately own this fine film?

...it's all crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks