What's new

Disney - phone drive is 99.9% in favor of Pan and Scan!!! (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
the sad thing was she pulled up this info on a computer...they have a database that is telling them Snow Dogs was played theatrically in 1:33:1!
Nick,
that is scary! Of course, if you think of the erroneous info posted on Disney's own website so often it's not too surprising :)
Keep it up ya'll!
-dave

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Guys, just a thought:
While it's great to show some solidarity with the HTF, we also don't want to appear like a "club" which might negate the impact of our viewpoint. This could happen if the marketing guys conclude that our opinions don't represent a wider audience but are limited to the niche enthusiast.
We want to sound like regular people who just *happen* to know what widescreen is about and want to make sure their DVDs look their best on that HDTV that we've been saving up to by from Best Buy ;)
BTW, we also want to make sure that our calls continue over the course of the week. After you place your call, be planning on what family member or friend you can convince to call them *tomorrow* and so on and so on. Let's make sure they get a steady-stream of calls for at least a few days. That will really indicate to them that it's not just a niche-club with some sort of campaign agenda (which, of course, we really are!).
Good work all!!! :)

Jodee

Screenwriter
Does anyone know if the The Parent Trap is being released OAR? (the original 1961 version).
That is the one Disney title coming out I want to buy. I'd like to know before I call, so I can either thank them or complain. :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Jodee,

good news is that the orig Parent Trap, Pollyanna, Swiss Family Robinson, and Old Yeller will all be OAR and 16x9 (which applies to the first 3 as Old Yeller's OAR is 1.33:1).

Good news for those titles. They slid through the gate before Disney decided to revisit their OAR policy for family titles!

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I just spoke with Cammie, she took down my comments as we were talking and she assured me that she would forward my thoughts to their marketing department. She also told me that I could write directly to their marketing department at [email protected].
I think it's fair to say they are getting weary of the volume of calls regarding this matter. I am not saying not to call. ;)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I just spoke to "Sarah" and she also gave me the

"[email protected]" E-MAIL address. She stated that that was a direct line to Disney Marketing and that we should consider also sending E-MAIL to that address if we are interested in purchasing widescreen DVDs, where applicable, on all future Disney DVD product.

She stated that she would also continue to log our complaints into their database (My name and address was already in her system!)

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator
Just got through. I spoke to Sara, who was very friendly, and was typing while I spoke. I basically started the conversation by telling her I wanted to complain(and kinda laughed.) Then I told her I was going to do it nicely, and she chuckled, took my info, and off we went. She chatted with me for a about 5 minutes or so.

I voiced not only the concerns about OAR presentation for snow dogs, but also for the Muppet titles coming out later. As we were coming to a close in the conversation, I mentioned that I didn't understand how thier marketing system worked, using willy wonka as an example of poor marketing towards and age group, and then indicating that as the primary dvd purchaser in my household(at 15-20 per month), I would refuse to purchase any movies not represented in thier original theatrical aspect ratio. She started typing again, and then I thanked her and after a parting comment about the sunshine, that was it.

Keep calling people. I told her there would be a lot of people calling about this.

Tom Blizzard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Blizzard
I just called and talked to Amy (maybe Anita). She was very nice, but she concluded our conversation with the statement, "so you like FULLFRAME?? OHHHHHHHH NOOOOOO,,,,, (where did I go wrong?) I think it was when I told her I wanted to see all the picture. So don't say those words. Sorry bout that. She also told me to write an e-mail etc., etc.,
Regards, Tom B.
P.S. This is the very best demo I've seen...... check it out!
http://www.ryanwright.com/ht/oar.shtml

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I just place my call as well and spoke with some woman's name that can't recall but it meant 'queen.'

Anyway...she was great...she understood my concern and asked me what I meant. I basically told her that the next time she goes to a theater and watch a movie that she needed to put her hands up to her face and block out the sides to where basically all she could see is the middle. Then I told her to move her head around...that is Pan and Scan.

I also told here that I am sure that with the purist that Walt was, that he would not approve of P & S himself.

I went on to here that she needed to also present to the marketing division the shitty job that they seem to be doing on the recent rash of Touchstone pictures. That the needed to be doing a bit better at cleaning up their prints and not worry so much about how many they get out, but the quality of what they put out.

She said that she would send this to them...another vote anyway.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Does anyone know if it is better to email Disney or send them a snail mail letter?

I would like to pass along to them the petition I started to Columbia/Tristar. While it isn't directly addressed to them, it is the exact same issue, so I think it would be a good idea for them to see it.

If you think snail mail is better, can someone please email me the address.

In the meantime, if you have not yet signed the petition, there is a link in my sig. Please do so.

Thanks.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Rain...
I would sent it to the [email protected] email that was listed above.
When I called, I was told to double my voice by writing to them as well...
Not a problem for me to ever voice my thoughts...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Do one better

THey want you to email because it keeps their phone traffic down, and makes it easier to coralate the opinions

SO

CALL AND EMAIL

Triple stack it with a snail mail letter as well

Remember, a call is worth 40 emails!

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
I have been trying for the last 30 min. and all I get is a busy signal. Good thing I have a cellphone so I don't have to log off though.

Cynthia

Stunt Coordinator
I just spoke with a nice lady (Regina? Anita? something like that) and informed her that I was disappointed that Cheetah and Muppet Treasure Island were to be released as pan & scan only on DVD. I made sure that she took down that I would have bought them if they were presented in their original aspect ratios, which are widescreen.
She took my name, address, phone number and e-mail address. They already had my name and e-mail on their system (I guess from those free DVD offers). And she told me I might want to email [email protected] also. I'm going to do that right now.
For people who don't like phones (like me :D), it's not bad at all. It's quick and painless. So please help stop this travesty by making a quick call.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Why would they do that? Do you think they really don't want to get more money from their customers?!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Just called and spoke with Sarah. Mentioned that I own over 1000 DVD's, and that about 10% of them are Disney/BV related. Mentioned the Disney titles via Anchor Bay, like North Ave. Irregulars I just watched this past weekend...in widescreen.
Mentioned that I was home early today to take delivery on a widescreen TV! :) Which I was. Pictures at 11.
Mentioned that I wanted everthing the way it was originally shown...Muppet movies in widescreen, that I got The Muppet Show from Time/Life and I liked it "square", and that Snow White ought to be square because it was shown theatrically in "square" Academy Ratio. Mentioned I had every "masterpiece" released to DVD, and that I was upset I'd have to rebuy some later as SE's because they were not widescreen and should be.
She gave me to e-mail address, too.
Gotta run. More later if I think of it.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
does anyone think that emails could just be deleted instead of being read?
Chances are high that Disney's call center and email processing center are outsourced. It would not be in the best interest of either Disney or the Outsourcer to delete emails. If they are indeed outsourced, the outsourcer needs some method of billing and using the number of emails processed is one such way. And because the business is outsourced, Disney would more than likely want to see the responses to the emails as a measuring stick on how well the outsourcer is performing. I happen to work for a large outsourcer (that has several extremely large clients) so I see this sort of thing all the time.

Of course, though, if the business is not being outsourced the emails are a little easier to "slip under the radar".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks