What's new

Disney, Lions Gate and Fox to HD DVD? Also MGM See Post #94 (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Rob_HD,

if you have any way at all of relaying these sentiments to our friend rdjam ;) please let him know that he's managed to write a petition that is balanced, accurate, and sticks to the facts-at-hand relevent to the consumer-interests that a studio would consider germane to the discussion:

:emoji_thumbsup:

:D

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator
New petitions for Lions Gate and Disney

EDIT - I think it's perfectly clear that I have only posted Rdjam's latest petition update to avoid being the lightning rod again...

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey BD folks,

should we start a petition to let Fox, MGM, and Disney know how glad we are that they support the Blu-ray format? We'll keep it to-the-point and fact-based as well...

:D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Sony: ok men...we're gonna take that hill this time. Ready? CHARGE!
Mgm: Be right there, just got a few more drags left on this smoke. Say, Anybody got a light?
Fox: Right behind you sarge, just let me tie my shoes. On second thought, where are my shoes?
Disney: Be right there sarge. First, I think it's important to to take this opportunity to say we're firmly committed to taking that hill...

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Poor Lion's Gate... always being ignored. ;)

Where do I sign?

Can we also start a petition to get Re-releasal Universal to support Blu-ray? I'd love to own several of their titles! I'd even be willing to get quadruple-dipped by them if they'd release some quality BD titles. :emoji_thumbsup:

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
A very much better effort indeed—still some problems (from my perspective) but I’d just be carping in any further critique.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I believe the studios did their share of consideration on both HD formats, and I believe they came to the same point, for the future most are supporting Blu-Ray. It is not cheap for a studio to support many formats. They have made their decision for a reason. After doing thorough research on both formats, there is no question that Blu-ray is ready for many more future applications, HD-DVD cannot expand to the same possibilities by any means.

If a person wants to start a petition, that's fine. I just think that the studios have spent hours and hours making their decision, and in my opinion, Disney, Lionsgate and Fox decided wisely. Personally, I think that Universal is the one who made the mistake. But then again, with connections to Toshiba through General Electric, it wasn't a surprise.

Personally, I am very surprised there are home theater forum members that havn't seemed to investigate the possibilities of both formats and the tech data for each. I've spent hours researching each and there is just no comparison. The quality of the movies may be similar, but from then on-blu ray disc was invented for thousands more future applications. HD-DVD was really something made so that the pressing lines could remain the same with few changes and the transition would be cheaper and easier. I suggest taking a look at some of the blu-ray specs and future applications, there's hardly a limit on what the format can be. Sony, who had lead top quality for years, did some excellent inventing here.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Isn't it weird...
when there is something good about Blu, Blu is Sony
&
when there is something bad about Blu, Blu is NOT Sony?

Nothing personal, just something that jumped into my EDweird head! ;-)

There is sooooooo little hardware for both sides out there (as of this minute), why would anyone jump anywhere?

I could see studios, jumping & maneuvering, after the holidays, say 2Q '07, however not till then.
Just my non-sense!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Ed,

I can say there's stuff good about Blu without Blu being Sony as can anyone else.

Sony happens to be one of many companies behind the new disc structure and format specs which, in the long run, will make BD a better format.

BTW, what's bad about Blu-ray *is* Sony. It was Sony's stalling that caused VC1 to take so long to get worked into authoring tools and just look at how badly mastered 2 of Sony's debut BD titles turned out (contrasted by the great mastering of other studios BD titles).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks