What's new

Disney LD (1 Viewer)

Hey,

I have found some Disney animated movies on Laserdisc. I am really tempted to pick up Lion King and Aladin. These aren't the collectors editions. Is the quality any good?

Thanks

Clay

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I can't comment on Alladin, But my Lion King Laserdisc has a very nice THX approved transfer (Back when THX actually meant something) and a great PCM Dolby Surround track. The LD also has an AC-3 5.1 Dolby Digital track on it, but I have never heard it myself, as my LD player is not AC-3 ready.

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
non-collector's edition of Aladdin is not OAR, but collector's CAV edition is 1.66:1 AR, Dolby Surrround, with great audio and video quality.
as mentioned, Lion King is 1.85:1, has a Dolby Surround track as well as a 5.1 Dolby Digital (AC-3) track. the 5.1 is fantastic, just for the opening pre-title sequence alone...
oh, and both look great on DVD-R's, too...
:)

Brenton

Screenwriter
Um, aren't both of these titles coming to DVD next year? Oh well, if they aren't presented OAR, then maybe the LDs are worth it.

Brenton

Screenwriter
I could have hardly imagined that Muppet Treasure Island or A Muppet Christmas Carol would be Pan-&-Scan. Never underestimate the powers of the Emperor.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lars, this is the U.S.A. and the studios are pandering to narrow-minded, narrow-screened crowd. Sure wee-jun 2 will be OAR but here....? Don't bet real money on it! Best wishes!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
LION KING will be the next Platinum DVD release, in October of 2003. ALADDIN may come twelve months later. I love LION KING for its artistry, but the comic relief characters and moronic fart jokes leave me shaking my head. IMHO they bring the movie down a full notch. Too bad. I'll buy it, though, of course.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Brenton & Rachael -

I know, I know.

But even though the Disney company has done quite some stupid things, I still think they have been consistently good at not goofing up their "true classics". So, therefore I wouldn't fear any P&S-ing of TLK and Aladdin.

But, of course, we'll just have to wait and see.

---

And, just for the record, most of my DVDs and all of my Disney DVDs are R1, not R2.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Don't get your hopes up. That way, if they are Pan-&-Scan, your hopes were never up in the first place (so they can't come crashing down). If they are widescreen, it will be all the more of a pleasant surprise.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Brenton, I'm sure I see your point ;)
However, even though I realize that the fear of P&S can be well justified some times, remember that these are the Platinum Editions!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks