Disney gets Hayao Miyazaki’s: SPIRITED AWAY

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Overduin, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...8&obj_id=33982
    Many of us remember the manner in which Disney handled the release of Princess Mononoke. To its credit, Disney did finally acquiesce to fans of the film and after delaying it, released it in the way it should have in the first place.
    Despite assurances, I wonder if Disney has learned its lessons and will do it right the first time. Following some of the recent posts about Disney, I am not optimistic.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, this is old news, they just did a press release finally. They were going to pass on it, but then Dreamworks showed up at Tokuma's door with a blank check saying "The second they pass,we'll take it".

Disney then bought it (they have first rights of refusal) in order to keep DreamWorks from blowing the US out of the water with it. Unfortunately for them, Tokuma made them agree to a-fast-track it, and b-release it properly. They've seen what Disney's done in the US with their titles, and they're not too pleased about it.

Me, I'll be buying the Japanese DVD in June, of course I'll still go see it theatrically, and will probably buy the R1 DVD as well, so long as it is OSL and widescreen.

3. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Jeff, will the Japanese DVD have English subtitles? I finally got myself a multi-region player. I really want to see this but I'm not even going to bother with a dub, at least not for my first viewing.

4. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

Yes, the R2 DVD will have subtitles in English, Japanese, Chinese, and Korean (I believe). Available language only in Japanese. It will be a two disc set, but if you get the limited edition, there are extra goodies. And if you get the ultra limited edition w/ dvd player, that's even better. [​IMG]

5. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Disney is NOT releasing it correctly, as it will only be released in theaters with a dubbed soundtrack. I thought CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON proved that Americans can still read when they want to. I'd understand if they were giving this a big release in mainstream theaters and trying to reach children with it. However, I don't see that happening. It'll play in a few art houses with a primarily adult audience. At least the original language will be on the dvd. I hope.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

by a proper release, I only mean that they will promote it and release it properly. Not that it will be presented OSL, which is too much to hope for

Sigh

7. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

To Disney, Animation still = children. And I'm sure that they feel that Children won't read subtitles. Perhaps they could reverse the CTHD model and release a limited number of OSL prints and wide-release it dubbed.

I have a feeling we'll need to petetion for OSL on the DVD again.

8. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    It's being shown subtitled in Berkeley on April 20th and another day or two, I believe. Check your local listings!

9. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

The subtitled version is coming to the Castro Theater in San Francisco on the 20th and 21st of April (Saturday and Sunday). The Sunday show is during the day. For details:
    http://www.thecastrotheatre.com/home.htm
    Tickets are not available through Tickets.com, so you may have to go through the theater itself if you want to take part in these (inevitably) sold-out shows.
    Steve